iPhone Family Plan Help!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GregBoccuti, Jun 1, 2008.

1. GregBoccuti macrumors newbie

My family is switching to AT&T. I want to get us a family plan, however I want an iPhone, and the rest of my family to have regular phones. I heard that this was possible, but you have to order regular phones first, then order an iPhone and activate it, and it only costs the extra $20 a month for the data plan. Is this true? Can I do this? If so, how do I activate my iPhone and make that my phone rather then the other phone I got from AT&T?

Thanks!

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You could just unlock the phone and put in the SIM Card that you're using now. That may work instead of having to activate it and all that jazz. Hopefully someone will post some reinforcement for what I said. :D

3. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

My family is switching to AT&T as well after the 3G comes out... I'll be the only one with the iPhone. From what I understand by talking to people at AT&T is that my parents need to go get their phones and set up the family account. Then after that is taken care of, activate the iPhone like normal on iTunes (there is an option during activation to just add a line instead of creating an entirely new account). Also, from what I've been told, it's $10 per extra line to add to the family plan. So it's $10 for the extra line, but then the $20 on top of that for the iPhone, bringing the total cost of adding an iPhone line to $30 (not so sure of the truth to this, but it's what AT&T employees have told me).

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

My Fiance and I switched to AT&T a little bit ago. She got a Nokia, I got an iPhone. We have the 1400 minute Family plan. There's no worries, super easy. You don't have to start off with a regular phone or anything. Just pick the family plan you want, and its $20 extra a month for the unlimited iphone data plan. Super easy to sign up.

5. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

We're doing the same thing. I hope it is as easy as everyone says. I think we're both gonna get iPhones though, so no regular phones for us. I'm looking forward to getting them! : )

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It is nice to sign up all your family members and receive pretty decent phones for free or under $50, then activate your iPhone with the SIM card you already have, then sign up on iTunes and your $20 data plan should kick in. You may want to sign up for unlimited text messages for your family plan members for $29.99, since your iPhone has a 200 TM limit. Good to go.

7. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

I like this thread. I have a AT&T tilt now and I am on my families family plan. I end up paying like 50 dollars a month total + the rest of the phones + the family plan I picked.

Is the iPhone's unlimited txt and internet plan the same cost or less than the AT&T Tilt?

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I believe it is. I've got (3) iPhones and their Data Plan is $20, and (1) Blackberry, and the Data Plan is $30 a month and unlimited text for the plan is $29.99.

9. hokeydays macrumors newbie

Discounts?

I too plan to switch from another provider (sprint) to AT & T and bring the family (nobody has a phone yet). I plan to have 1 iphone and 2 cheap (easy to use phones for the folks).

I thought I read on here that to get a monthly AT &T service discount (if applicable, like government employee, student % off), the iphone is not eligible for this discount, unless the iphone is the 2nd, 3rd, etc. line on the plan. For example, buy 2 cheap phones, and then add the iphone as the 3rd, and the monthly service fee discount (where applicable) applies to all phones.

Can anyone confirm? Any other strategies for max. cost savings?

Thanks.

10. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

the main line is the only line that gets the service discounts minus the data plans (data plan discount varies depending on your premier agreement with AT&T).

So as long as you have a non iPhone as the primary line on your family plan, your premier discount will remain in place.

11. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

concerning unlimited messaging....

if I add the unlimited messaging for everyone in my family[like 30 right?]

AND then I get the new iphone and add the $20 plan...will I still have unlimited messaging? Or would I have to upgrade MY iphone plan to the 40 buck one?? thanks.