iPhone family plan pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric8199, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Can anyone provide me with a link to at&t's family plan pricing for the iphone now that they have the new data plans? I'm trying to figure out whether it will be cheaper for me to get my wife an iPhone or let her keep her crappy phone on another carrier. I can't seem to find it anywhere on at&t's site.

Thanks

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

3. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Anyone know why Apple's site is different for Family Plan pricing?

1) Apple doesn't list the lower 500 minute plan
    2) Apple's prices are way off....they list the 700 minute plan as $99.99 but that's BEFORE data!

-Kevin

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Start off by going to this website...

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/family-cell-phone-plans.jsp

The cheapest plan is $60 for 2 lines with 550 minutes. Assuming you both have iPhones...

$15/month X 2 for the cheapest data packages. Some sort of data plan is required.
    $5/month X 2 for the cheapest text message package (200); however a text plan is not required.

So it looks like the least expensive plan for 2 iPhones would be $90 (no text plan) before any taxes or fees.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think AT&T might be changing things around a bit with lower minutes. See the PDF or my screenshot. Looks like you lose 50 minutes on the 550 (500) plan.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oh yeah, I see your pdf and go all in with a screenshot from at&t....:p

Seriously though, not sure what the deal is, could be just a typo. Or it could now be only 500 minutes.

Attached Files:

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Even better is why Apple.com is different?!?

Where's the 550 plan? Why the different pricing?

-Kevin

Attached Files:

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, the FamilyTalk 550 rate plan is not available in all markets. You have to enter you ZIPCODE on AT&T and see if you are offered the 550 FamilyTalk plan.

Dave

10. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Right now I have a 3G and will be upgrade to the 4, and will also get my wife her first Iphone. So anyone know how would I do an upgrade to get two Iphone 4s with the family plan but different data plans? I kind of wanted to keep my unlimited data that I have with my 3G and put my wife on the 200mb plan since she won't use it all that often, and I haven't decided how comfortable I am with the 200mb limit (and $5 difference isn't enough to give up "unlimited.")

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I would imagine (but don't know for sure) that they treat each phone separately when it comes to data. So you should be able to keep your unlimited.

It's not a $5 difference going down to the 200mb plan....it's a $15 dollar different. The $5 difference is the 2GB plan (at $25 dollars).

-Kevin

12. chris.robison macrumors regular

Hello! Bump on this thread.

I went through the pricing on at&t.com and store.apple.com and also found the pricing on apple.com to be much higher. They also didn't have the 550 option. I did a live chat with them and asked and they said they should be the same as they come from at&t. He offered no other explanation.

Does anyone else have any idea? I guess its best to get the iPhone 4 straight from at&t so we don't pay roughly $30 more a month for the same thing?

13. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

This is why I haven't messed with my voice plan since 2003 ish...

We pay 59.99 (voice only) for two lines, and get 650 minutes...

An AT&T rep screwed up our billing ages ago, and gave us an extra 100 mins, and it still gets applied every month :)

14. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Easy, just select the correct data plan for each line when you pre-order. Your line will have choice of your existing Unlimted data plan along with the new plans. If your wife is also an existing line upgrade, on that line, you will only see the new iPhone data plans, since she did not already have a Unlimited data plan on her line.

Dave

15. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Did you even read my post above concerning the FamilyTalk 550 plan?

The FamilyTalk plans you see are the most common, and by default show the pricing for two iPhones and the required iPhone data plan. In the example with the iPhone 3GS, you would have to purchase two iPhone 3GS units for a new customer and since both lines require a data plan the Familytalk 700 example shown is $69.99 + the required iPhone DataPlus ($15 x 2) for a total of $99.99.

If you don't see a specific FamilyTalk rate plan on the Apple site, you can choose any of the valid ones there and then later switch your FamilyTalk rate plan to any vaild AT&T FamilyTalk rate plan offered in your market.

Dave

16. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok, I get the fact that Apple.com might not offer the 550 plan because it's not available everywhere. Fine.

But I still don't understand the pricing on Apple.com regarding the 700 Family Plan. On Apple.com uou clearly choose the 700 $99.99 plan under the Voice section. You are then taken to the Data selection where you HAVE to choose a data plan. That choice ADDS to the total.

I'm going to wait until Tuesday to figure everything out, since it all might change.

Question for current AT&T users
    Have you ever switched your voice calling plan in the middle of a contract (or even within a few weeks of signing up)? Do they allow you to adjust it without making you sign a new contract?

The new data plans - can you change during your contract
    Does anyone know, with the new data plans, if you choose the 200MB plan and find out you really need the 2GB plan, can you switch without having to sign a new contract?

-Kevin

17. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes, you can change your voice or data plans without impacting your Contract terms or length.

Dave

18. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thanks Dave!

-Kevin

19. chris.robison macrumors regular

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply.

Like kbmb said a bit above this post, the $99.99 for 700 minutes is for the FamilyTalk voice only. After this step, you choose a data plan which adds to the total. So, for whatever reason, the prices are currently higher on apple.com.

On Tuesday I'll either call them or just purchase through at&t.com. I want to get the new phone on release day so hopefully online order through at&t will make this so.

20. chris.robison macrumors regular

Anyone find out anything?

EDIT: I just did another Live chat with Apple and was told they are working to fix the error and 'your bill will reflect the correct amount'.

Does anyone know if I can sign up for the 700 plan for the preorder, then switch it to the 550 (its available to my area) through AT&T after?