iPhone Family Plan Woes...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nar1117, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

So I'll set up the situation for you.

I need to buy an iPhone 3G here in Boston. When I buy the phone, I will be changing my sister's account (she has an iPhone - standard $79.99 plan) to be included in a new family plan (with myself being the other user). I am an authorized user for the account, so I am allowed to do this. My question is, since the account is tied to a credit card other than my own, do I need to have that credit card with me to buy the phone?

2. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Yes you will need a way to pay for the phone.

3. ernest720 macrumors newbie

4. Wakakanada macrumors regular

My wife and I signed up for a couples plan in Canada [Fido]. The account was processed using my wife's card, but I paid for the iPhones with my card. So long as you can satisfy whatever requirements there are to prove you are authorized to be added onto the account, I don't think the manner of payment for the iPhones matters. Of course, if the plan is being switched from a personal to a family plan, I expect they would require some authorization from the person who "owns" the account.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yes, you should have A Credit Card, it just doesn't have to be the one that is tied to the account.

6. trixnrice macrumors member

um, he's not asking if needs a credit card to purchase, he's asking if he needs the credit card that is linked to the cingular account ( that other person to be present). Apple says that the onwer of the account must be there, but most stores will allow you to do it w/o them present, as long as as you have billing zipcode, billing address, and last 4 digits of ssn of the owner of the account; they may ask for the online username and password as well. This was the case with my gf, she's authorized, but the account is under her dad's name still. We went in, got a phone and line set up no problem. with purchasing, they dont care who buys it ( i used my cc to buy for my gf). so it shoudl'nt be a problem. You should call your local apple store just to make sure that the manager of that store doesn't have a problem though. good luck.

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

No you do not.

The only thing you will need to note is that the activation fee will be charged to that AT&T family plan account (which means it will be charged to the credit card tied to the account).

Other than that, all you need is the last four digits of social security.

8. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie