iphone family plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidwes, Oct 19, 2007.

1. davidwes macrumors regular

So I was on apples website trying to find a family plan. I want one iphone line and one non iphone. Apple's website says the family plan includes 2 iphones.

On Att's website that have chat, and the person there as soon as I mentioned iphone gave me this preprogrammed thing about going to apples website and wouldn't help me figure out how much it would actually cost!

Does anyone here know what two phones lines, only one of them an iphone would cost?

2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

AT&T has different family plans... so it really depends on what you need.

I have a family plan with 2 lines and 500 shared minutes that roll over each month if we don't use them. On that plan, I use an iPhone and my wife uses a cheap freebie phone back from when we first signed up.

I don't know what their current plans are, but mine is $50 for the first line, $10 for the second line, $20 for the iPhone data plan... plus around $18 in government taxes and fees and other charges, all of which total up to about $109 a month. (although, I just got the iPhone recently, so I'm not sure if the taxes and fees will be so high next month or if most of it was a one time fee)

Here's an image showing some more family plans available:

Attached Files:

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I would probably suggest just getting your plan & service setup without any reference to the iPhone at all (not even starting a data plan). What this will do is simplify the startup process and it will also give you the ability to choose a free phone for the line that will utimately get the iPhone. This phone could be used as a backup in case you need service on another phone. You can then turn around and immediately buy an iPhone and the setup process will simply have you tack on a $20 data plan to your (now) existing family plan. My family plan isn't even offered anymore (I've had it for 3 years) and after activating the iPhone it simply tacked on a $20 data plan and did not bark about the family plan because it wasn't a current AT&T offering.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I have (1) iPhone and (3) other phones...

and the Family Plan with 1400 anytime minutes, our bill is about $149 a month, and our rollover minutes are at 5,865. This price includes the $20 data package required by AT&T for "existing customers" so prior to the iPhone upgrade, our bill was $129 per month due to nights unlimited starting at 7pm M-F and 400 text msg with 1MB of downloads, for each line. :cool:

5. davidwes thread starter macrumors regular

I was wondering about this because my gf has a cingular plan that is super cheap and has not been offered for years. So I am trying to figure out all the costs to see what I should do. I probably will not mess with her plan and will just do a solo plan for the 59.99 ... or get a free phone and a ipod touch instead .... I really want the iphone I just don't know if I can afford an extra 20 a month for it.

6. attadj macrumors member

When I added my Iphone they removed the family plan so I ended up having to have two phones with separate mins. They said I couldn't have an iphone be a 2nd phone on a family plan or make the iphone primary and my second non-iphone the family phone. End result I pay more for two phones.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Its simple. The iphone costs $20/month + whatever plan you have.

So you just pick a family plan then add $20 for the iPhone data plan.

8. attadj macrumors member

I wish I could change my two phones into 1 iphone and 2nd non-iphone to family plan. The web site doesn't let me do anything because of the iphone being on the account:

FT802: Your account doesn't include any wireless numbers that are eligible to convert to FamilyTalk.

Maybe it would work if I was ordering a new 2nd phone line but I already have both phone lines so I don't need a 3rd.

9. artemka macrumors member

Obtaining iPhone for me worked simply:
    I had a family plan 2 lines and i used Samsung D807 and my brother had Razor. 22 days ago I've bought an iPhone from hands on craigslist. I simply inserted my SIM card in, activated iPhone with iTunes and i've checked my accound online and all i got is additional $20 for "iPhone + data" to my monthly bill. Everything else for family plan stays the same.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, I'm hoping it's that smooth...

with my iPhone activation on October 11, 2007!!! :cool: