iphone feature idea - WIFI turned on when safari launched

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musio, Mar 1, 2009.

1. musio macrumors 68020

musio

instead of turning wifi on through settings, wouldn't it be an idea for safari to turn on wifi for the first 30 seconds to see if a hotspot is available and connect?

What do you think for the next iphone release?

2. JDee macrumors 6502a

A lot of people wouldn't like that - people want to find Wi-Fi spots on the go rather than starting up a program to find one (Safari).

If I wanted a wireless Wi-Fi spot - I couldn't be bothered opening up Safari, too much time wasting.

3. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

i mainly use WIFI for browsing and have to turn it on when want to browse. It would be a cool option to skip this process and just load up safari which jumps on the best free connection available - why wouldn't people want this? I'm sure you'd love it if you were browsing over edge and then your phone seamlessly jumped onto a free wifi hotspot for faster browsing.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This would be greatly annoying. I'm not around wi-fi hotspots for a good chunk of my day and I don't want to have Safari turn on, wait to see what is around and what i can connect to, and load the page. Just load the damn page - I don't care what network its on.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm. That could be a good idea, as long as people could also switch wifi on directly without having to open up Safari or any other app. Plus, since searching to see if there's an open wifi spot nearby consumes battery, this option needs to be configurable so people can turn it off if they want. Also, once wifi gets automatically turned on, it also has to be automatically turned off, again to conserve battery, unless the user wants it to stay on... Hmmm, it's just a lot simpler to have the user turn it on and off themselves, until battery life gets a lot better, so wifi can stay on all the time. What would be good is something like a "double-click to bring up wifi on/off toggle" option when you are in an app that uses wifi.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

The real solution would be if there was an option in safari to turn on wifi. Its retarded to have to close a program and go to settings to do every little thing.