iPhone features

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DLO34, Dec 16, 2008.

1. DLO34 macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me why Apple or a developer hasn't provided the ability to move Word, Excel, and PDF files to the iPhone and enable the iPhone to edit those files and sync them back to the computer? Also to enable the iPhone to create a Word file and sync it back to the computer. I have a Windows XP laptop and an iPhone 3G and I am trying to create the same capability that I had with a Pocket PC.

The iPhone is so close to this feature and has so much capability that Apple would be able to go after the Pocket PC market if they provided that capability. I have used apps that can sync files over to the iPhone for Read Only, but why stop there?

2. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Probably because of the lack of copy and paste

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

My guess would be that creating an Office compatible suite of applications would be a large project and it's only been 5 months since the App store has been available.

Also, the fact that there is no file system access would make it difficult (impossible?) with the current version of the iPhone software to access email attachments with a third party program.

Concerns about being able to charge a high enough price to justify the development might also be an issue.

4. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

also possibly because it would be really pointless.....

I guess it really depends on your profession.... in a business capacity it's utterly pointless considering how inefficient it would be... ie. Where I work we bill our clients by the minute... do I really want to explain why it took an excess amount of minutes since the keyboard on my iPhone is so small?

All we use our BB or iPhone for is to re-view a word document or excel file while on the go....

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The best thing so far is Documents, which allows you to edit what you upload to Google Docs. Supposed an Office-to-go suite is being developed by DataViz.