iPhone Feedback Initiative, post your suggestions now!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by suneohair, Oct 8, 2007.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I have had my iPhone for a few days now. I love it, but there are things I would like to see in the future. My goal here is to work with the members of MR to form a concise document that we can all submit to Apple (http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html).

This will take some time, but I think if we all work at it and ultimately we all submit feedback to Apple we can get things done. I know there is the list of software upgrades and features thread, however, that doesn't seem to have the purpose of requesting, just listing.

I am going to make a second post, which will contain the main list that will be updated daily. I would like this to be a democratic process. If something could be left out or is covered by something else, or maybe reworded; feel free to make a suggestion based on your ideas. There will eventually be a poll, where we will vote. From that, we will be creating a list of five things, that will be submitted to Apple. Once we create a list and submit we will wait one month and begin a new list to submit.

Please do not ridicule others. Try to have an intelligent discussion so we can make some progress.

Please follow these conventions:
    1) Bold the application in question, add relevant suggestions beneath it
    2) Use the System heading for things that pertain to overall system functions, (i.e. Copy/Paste)
    3) For hardware components, please list the component (i.e. WiFi) and add suggestions
    3) If you would like a new application, please make a bolded heading "New Application" and add apps beneath it

I will compile the list until Friday October 12, 2007, at which point, I will create a poll and have a vote on the issues. I will then, with the help of everyone here, create a document that we can all send to Apple via the feedback form.

Digg it:
    http://digg.com/apple/iPhone_Feedback_Initiative

2. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Main List

Phone:
    1) Voice Dialing

Calendar:
    1) Better Outlook Support
    2) Color coding
    3) Hyperlinks
    4) Search

Mail:
    1) Better Exchange Support
    2) Push/IDLE IMAP support from other servers; (i.e. personal web-server, dreamhost accounts.)
    3) Mail multiple photos
    4) Attach word, pdf attachments via file system
    5) Delete multiple emails at once
    6) Search

Safari:
    1) Flash Support
    2) Homepage
    3) Find Function

iPod:

Messaging:
    1) Support for popular Instant Messaging Protocols, iChat
    2) MMS Messaging
    3) Single message deletion from conversations
    4) SMS to multiple recipients

Notes:
    1) Encryption

New Applications:
    1) To Do's

WiFi:
    1) PEAP, LEAP and other WiFi support
    2) Access shared drives

System:
    1) 3rd party applications, provided via iTunes
    2) Copy and Paste
    3) File system view, even if system files protected, "Home" Folder
    4) Volume Increase
    5) Repeating alerts
    6) Home screen rearrangement
    7) Grouping of applications
    8) Dashboard: one place for widgets, Apple and 3rd party

3. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

In my opinion, the best way to do that is to focus on a narrow list of issues that are the most important to the most people.

And I'm sure people will disagree, but I think 3rd party apps is a non starter and good way to get the whole thing ignored.

Maybe include something like Apple certified apps via itunes download or something. A 3rd party solution that respects the security and control of the device.

When you go into these types of situations, you're asking a company to listen to you. It pays to be reasonable and think about what their goals and needs are, not just yours or they simply won't care.

I suggest a poll that forces people to pick one issue, then take the top 5 or something like that.

Anyone can put together a laundry list of ideas that will be deleted as fast as it hits an inbox.

The tricky part is fashioning one that demands respect and attention while being part of the solution, not part of the problem.

4. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

At least #1 should be put in a future update...until then I cannot connect to my college's network, because it uses PEAP.

5. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I completely agree Sobe. The 3rd party apps thing seems to be a hot issue, which is why I put it in the list.

I would prefer it to be handled through iTunes, so that I get certified applications that most definitely work. That what I meant by the controlled Environment. I can get down with 5 issues, maybe 10? ;)

Let's keep it going! How about we shoot for submission next Monday!

6. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Here is a list that I made a couple of weeks ago.

File System (Finder)
    Please! Let us take our important documents and files with us on the go.

Better Exchange Support
    Co-workers can still not get their phones to play nicely with Exchange. Whatever it takes Apple.

Better Outlook Support
    Smart phones need functional calendars. This is a non-starter for any businessman.

Copy/Paste Functionality
    Wouldn’t THIS be nice!?!

Flash Support
    I want the ENTIRE internet in my pocket. Not the mobile internet. All of it.

Voice Dialing
    Not a huge deal to me… but then again, most free phones have this functionality.

Ability to send more than one photo at a time via e-mail.
    Why one? Why not three? Seven?

Ability to delete more than one e-mail at a time.
    If I actually received more than two e-mails a day, this one might bother me more.

MMS Messaging
    Once again… free phones have this functionality. Not everyone has an iPhone, so e-mail is not a viable option here.

Additional volume increase
    The iPhone WORKS GREAT in a quite office. Make it better for everywhere else.

iCal Custom Calendar Coloration
    I have 5 different calendars on my iMac. Somehow they morph together on the iPhone. Not cool.

E-mails to download BEFORE you want to read them.
    With 8GB of space, why can’t the phone just download the e-mail in the background so I don’t have to wait for it to do so AFTER I have clicked on it.

Ability to view shared files on wifi network.
    I want my Microsoft word files, and I don’t want to have to get off the couch to have them.

Ability to make own ringtones in Garageband and import into iTunes.
    I won’t put real songs in there… I promise.

Additional integration into iLife and iWork
    No specifics here… I just like it when things ‘work’.

Ability to send SMS messages to more than one person at a time.
    Why the limitation? This MUST have been on purpose, right? Why?

To-Do’s
    I’ve got things to do. My computer knows it. I know it… but the iPhone has absolutely no idea.

7. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

This would most likely fall under the 3rd party applications:

Ringtones without limitations. By this I mean allowing an application like iToner to be added.

Safari - HOMEPAGE

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I would like to add to the list of possible suggestions calendar improvements, such as color coding, hyperlinks, and even search.

9. cmaier macrumors G3

Ability to have encrypted/password-protected notes.

10. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Great list fivepoint. I can already tell this is going to be a big undertaking. How about we do this:

Please see first post for listing conventions. Feel free to submit suggestions.

11. taficke macrumors member

I agree we should focus on only 5 main points and that might be pushing it. We have to go in babysteps. Say 5 then if they get accepted a couple more then a couple more. If we do to many to start with it will get deleted faster then u can say delete! I also think we should ask for most of these things for the touch. The touch needs -i think- more work then the iPhone but that is just me. I cant wait to see what we come up with!

12. cmaier macrumors G3

13. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Here's what I want them to do with the iPhone's 'home screen'

[​IMG]

Like I have done here, I would like them to group all the like applications together (internet apps together, phone apps together, iPod apps together). I put all the office apps on the second row. Besides there's no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to rearrange the home screens buttons in the first place. So, a new option in Settings > General, called 'Home Screen'

I have also added a dashboard icon where they would automatically put all widgets, including 3rd party ones. New Apple widgets would include; Dictionary and Unit Converter, as well as the other Weather, Stocks, Maps etc. Widgets could be browsed and downloaded directly on the phone from the Apple.com iPhone Widget Library right within the Dashboard icon.

The games icon would be similar to the Dashboard one, all Apple and third party games would be stored within there. And the Apple.com iPhone Game Library could be also accessible from within the games icon.

Spotlight Icon = Global live iPhone search = excellent.

iChat? Maybe they are waiting for Leopard to come out before they add iChat to the iPhone because they also intend to release iChat 4.0 for Windows at the same time?

14. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Can you be more specific? What type of alerts exactly?

15. cmaier macrumors G3

Anything that generates an alert. For example, when a calendar alarm goes off, if I don't dismiss it, I should have the option of having it repeat. (I can't count how many times I've left my phone cradled at my desk, left the room, come back, and had no idea that it had buzzed at me while I was out of the office).

It can be applied to everything, however (missed calls, voicemail, incoming SMS, etc.)

16. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Is your plan to only submit the top 5 or 10 items or something like that? Probably a good idea...

You are doing a great job, suneohair. I will help out where I can.

17. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Yeah. I plan on doing 5 at a time. My hope is that with standardization and sheer numbers we can make a difference. Reception hasn't been so good thus far. But I am dedicated, so the vote will be up Friday regardless and the submission ready for Monday.

18. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Get your suggestions in now, voting starts friday!

19. McGiord, Oct 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Mail App
    Ability to open PowerPoint attachments. I receive many of these and I'm unable to see them on my iPhone.

To do
    Is a must have!

I agree with all the other Apps suggested!!!
    ________
    indica strains

20. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I will add those to the next round! The vote is up now: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367995

21. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

This is really cool of you to start this, thanks! :)

22. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

My list I just submitted (my wishes are modest):

1. Ability to delete multiple e-mails at a time (or select all)

2. Standalone Contacts button (as on the iPod Touch)

3. Improved battery life

4. Improved speaker volume

5. White & Yellow Pages widgets

6. Sync iCal calendar colors

23. Kristie macrumors newbie

iPhone suggestions - I would like...

1 - Google Map - search local businesses. So when I am trapped overnight at an airport I can use the GPS to locate where I am, then quickly find a list of nearby hotels and restaurants.

2 - flash support.

3- A quicker way to pull up emergency contact numbers such as 911 (maybe hitting the top button twice really fast could bypass the slider, and last screen and go right to an emergency contacts list which by default ALWAYS has 911. To avoid accidental 911 calls make sure you have to press a 911 button, and a second button to confirm. In some occupations, and in some places you may travel, and in certain life situations - getting to 911 FASTER might be nice.

4 - a notify when services is restores or once again available signal. Sometimes in places were AT&T service is spotty - it would be nice to have a signal to let you know when service hasn't been available for more than X# or minutes (set by user) or has been restored. You should have the ability to turn this feature on and off as it is most useful when traveling.

24. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Just go to google maps... type in "restaraunts near [whatever town you're in]" and click search. I ALWAYS use this!

On a related note... I haven't seen this thread for several months now. It is AMAZING to see how many of these "wishlist items" have already come true! Hopefully the rest of them are just around the corner!