iPhone feels odd...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drichx, Dec 23, 2007.

1. drichx macrumors newbie

Ok, so last night I hit up the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store to check out some problems I've been having with my iPhone. It won't pick up any WiFi anymore, although the icon still displays, & it oddly won't ring while sleeping.

So, I sit down, and within 30 seconds, I have a brand new, no questions asked, iPhone in my hands.

One thing I have noticed is it feels considerably lighter than my June 29th iPhone...
    Has Apple made any changes or can anyone relate to me? The Home button feels flimsy and makes a louder clicking noise when I press it -- has anyone received a new iPhone from Apple and noticed this?

Also, one other problem -- maybe someone can help me; I lost all my phone numbers, photos & texts, etc...Although everything was backed up on my computer. When I plugged the new phone in, a prompt came up, and iTunes started to install the backup, but quickly stopped, restarted my phone & said there was an error. Two of the 149 pictures I had on my old phone now have appeared on this phone, but that is about it. Is there any way I can push that backup to my new iPhone? Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, I've had several iPhones. Loaners, replacements, etc.

3/4 of them have some kind of issue (some not significant at all, but issues).

i.e. volume buttons feel wrong, when pushed, the home button as you suggest, etc. etc. or and then there are the screen issues.

Anyway, go to iTunes > Preferences and then to the phone syncing tab. Look at the backups of your iPhone there.

If you see one that would be *before* the new phone, do this:

Plug in iPhone and let it do a sync, whatever, when it finishes go into that same preference panel again and delete the newest sync (unless there is only 1 and then you have nothing to do), but if there is the new one and one from before the new one, with the phone already connected as I said go ahead and delete the new sync backup).

Then restore the phone, and when it asks if you want to restore phone choose that old backup.

Sometimes when you have a physically different phone itunes will indeed keep the "old" backup separately even if the iphone has the same name, so you'll have to check and see.

I had similar issue once, and my trick above saved me.

3. drichx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks -- worked perfectly; everythings back now.

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Can you have more then 1 backup? Mine always just shows one backup which is the last time i synced it.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

As I suggested, if you physically get a different phone, or maybe if you renamed the phone, it would save a different sync. Otherwise, it seems to keep just the most recent.

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

as far as it feeling different I experienced the same thing, but I didn't think too much about it.

Glad to hear about the force sync to old backups.. that'll definitely help if I need to swap a new iPhone for some reason.

7. NitrousFlare macrumors member

Is there anyway to export the sync file into another folder so it can be used at another time?

If there is, that would be wonderful, just in case i want some of my old SMS messages back or something of the sort.

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The only thing that makes me feel old about the iPhone is a few small scratches on it due to dropping or the dog trying to chew it twice.

Outside of that, I still feel like a kid using it in public :eek:

9. srtbillyboy macrumors newbie

great stuff!!! i just made my account 7 hours ago and i can't get my eyes away from the screen!!! it's 615 in the morning too!!!!! LOL! you guys are awesome!:D

10. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Glad you are enjoying . Welcome to the club.