Iphone fell in water and survived!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kareem92, May 10, 2008.

1. Kareem92 macrumors newbie

It was raining alot by my house, and the driveway is kind of crooked so all the collected water leans to one side.
    My iphone was on my lap and i forgot, so when i stepped out of the car it hit the car door and just ploped into 3-4 in of water.
    I quickly pulled it out, and i tried to slide it to unlock it but it didnt work!!!
    So i dried it again and shook it to take out any water that was left in.
    then it slid to unlock it and it worked!!!!!!
    I couldnt belive it!!!

It is a tank!!

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Man I would freak if I did that to my iPhone. I've washed my old BlackBerry Pearl and that caused a mini panic attack, but it's what brought me to buying an iPhone. I was going to wait for the second one, but why bother buying another phone when I needed one then... The BlackBerry Pearl did survive a wash, except for one slight problem - the backlight went out. Everything including the LCD panel still worked, but you could barely see that because it was so dim. Saved that much by putting it in a bowl of rice...

3. coachfreak macrumors member

My sister dropped her's in the toilet and wasn't so lucky. It turned on for awhile but then the screen just faded.

4. joserpaq macrumors member

same here

My wife dropped her phone in the toilet and it just stopped working. I got it 4 hours later and dropped it in alcohol, let it rinse completely and then let it dry for a week. After that it started up just fine and is still working perfectly. The key is you use alcohol to keep the internals from collecting metals from the water and then a lot of patience while it drys. I let it dry of the week in a canister full of rice to absorb the moisture.

5. archieafroz macrumors newbie

iphone In swimming Pool !!!

So here's the deal. I went for a swim keeping my iphone on my towel. Finished swimming and picked up my towel and and didnt realize my phone was on it. wiped myself and everything and was looking for my phone. And all of a sudden i stamped on something inside the pool to find out it was my IPHONE .

Took it out to find that it didnt respond to anything i did. And all of a sudden the phone went blank......

Went to my apartment and placed the phone in front of light bulb.

1st Day

Place the phone facing the back cover( apple logo ) towards and bulb and removing the sim card cover. Didnt turn it on or charged it .. NOTHING. DONT EVEN TOUCH IT... FORGET U HAVE AN IPHONE.

2nd Day

Woke up and turned my iphone towards the screen facing the light bulb. Dont turn it on or charge it. Still forget u have an IPHONE.

3rd Day

Woke up and changed the side again. The back cover facing the light bulb. Let it Go , dont touch it if u ever want it to work.

4th Day

Woke up and switched it on to find that there is still some water on the screen. But it switched and and tried to " slide to open" and it worked ... Well there was still some water in the screen and i knew the touch response would stop eventually if all the water hasent been evaporated. so kept the phone back in front on the light bulb ( the screen facing the bulb ).

5th day

woke up and tried to turn it on. Turned on well and the water thad evaporated too. And when i tried to " slide to open " it , it didnt respond to my touch. Grrr..... felt like throwing it out the window. I didnt . Placed it back in front of the light bulb facing the screen. Didnt touch it the whole day.

6th Day

woke up and prayed that it starts well. Switched on the Phone. The apple logo. "SLIDE TO OPEN" . and it opened and for the first time in 6 days i saw my home screen. Tried to open all the applications , and stated my music and kept it going on until battery went dead ( for any moisture left, the phone would heat up and drain it out ).

So thats my story hope it helps anyone out there. Just remember to place the IPHONE 6 Inches away from the bulb so it wouldnt heat it too much.

Well need any help let me know.

Thanx and best of luck

6. neven macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine dropped his in the toilet and it was fine after a few days.

I spilled an entire glass of wine into the keyboard of my PowerBook. I let it dry out for a day and it gave me no trouble for the next 2 years. Actually it emanated a Chardonay smell, with hints of pear and papaya.

I don't know much about electronics, but my recommendation is, if you drop something into water, get the battery out if you can, turn it off if you can, and let it dry. Turning it on every 5 minutes can't help - be patient and it might just survive :)