iPhone fell in water... AT&T rep suggested I do this to replace it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

without having to pay the $700 no-commitment pricing (it was a 32GB 3GS)

PLEASE help a fellow iPhone owner out guys... my iPhone fell in a bath tub and it did break. Trust me I tried everything, it was DOA.

I called AT&T and a couple different reps told me to do this:

1) Add a line to my existing account

2) Pay $9.95 for the new line

3) With THAT newly opened line, get the iPhone 32GB 3GS at $300 with the 2-year contract

OK but they never explained to me what additional charges I'll have on my monthly bill for having an extra line, besides the $9.95. I just want to make sure they aren't withholding the whole story from me and hiding a grip of charges.

So I can add a line to my existing account WITHOUT having to purchase an additional phone along with it??

Couldn't I just add the new line, get the iPhone for $300, use my existing SIM for the new iPhone, and cancel the new line after 30 days??? I know I'll pay the $175 ETF...

HELP ME I'm so confused, I just wanna make sure I can do this, because AT&T reps made it seem that way

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's BS. You only need to pay $199 for a replacement, since this would be an out of warranty replacement. No new lines. No new phones.

3. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

^ Uh, I appreciate you looking out for me dude, but I don't know what you're talking about - my iPhone fell in water, broke... Dead... That is completely out of warranty.

Because of that, it would cost me $700 the SECOND time around to get a 32GB 3GS.

Obviously that's insane.

But the above plan seems to be MUCH more cost effective.

And guys?? before the Moral Authority start saying this is "dishonest" or what not... Several (3 of them) AT&T reps THEMSELVES told me I have this option.

Just without the cancelling the second line part. I figured, why pay $10 a month extra for a "dummy line" for 2 years when I can just cancel it after 1 month and eat the $175 ETF.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, you are wrong. iphone dead...out of warranty...fix for $199. Got that?

See this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=united_states&product=iphone

And before you argue further, if you don't read the entire link:

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'm starting to think these replacement OOW iPhones are refurbs because they only have a 90 day warranty or take the balance of your broken iPhones warranty if it had one. Still not a bad deal.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

For some reason I had a Canadian link (why it was 229), but fixed it above.

Nothing wrong with refurbs (from an Apple store).

7. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

So then you will pay full no contract price. I would take $199 any day.

Refurbs are no different then new phones. Refurbs get new batteries, new cases and new glass, it looks 100% new.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have wasted my time here. So, you expect a brand new spanking phone for your used phone? And you somehow think refurbs are bad phones?

Good luck!

10. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

^ Oh yeah? My friend got a refurb iPhone last year that smelled like human ****. Yes, poo. And it was not just his imagination, everyone commented that "Dude your iPhone smells like ****."

He had it taken in and looked at, turns out whoever returned it in the first place (the original owner) had smeared poo in it, as a cruel joke.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Weren't you going to switch to the Droid? :rolleyes:

And Apple refurbs are just as good, sometimes better, than new iPhones FWI.

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I seriously doubt this ever happened. As I said, Apple replaces the battery and case so anything like this would have been found.

13. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

yeah right. that's totally almost believable...your story smells like poo

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The "only" way that could happen is if got it replaced at AT&T. I've heard they might just give you back an old phone. Total hearsay Though.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

cool, pay hundreds more. im sure apple doesnt mind!

16. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

I hope this is true. Its something I would doo, for sure. I gonna tell everyone I know. Even if its not true, great story.

17. army91c macrumors 6502a

As many have said... I know because I did it, water damaged replacement is $199.00. $213.00 to be exact here in Colorado... you know taxes and all.

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

If your not happy with a refurb you got you can try getting another one..

19. christyn macrumors 6502a

haha
    I love all these misinformed people who would rather pay full price than take a refurb. I personally would take the refurb any day, they're checked twice and are every bit as good as a new phone.

That's alright, I'm sure apple won't mind charging you for a brand new one.

20. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

DOA= Dead on Arrival. Did you iphone ship in a bathtub full of water? :p

btw refurbs are tested extensively at the Apple repair center. Not to mention that the case and battery are all swapped for new ones. :rolleyes:

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Last week, I brought my 120GB iPod Classic to the Apple store because about two months ago, it developed about 100 bad pixels. They had to order me a "new" one and they got it two days later.

It looked perfect as if I had just bought it brand new at the Apple store. The back stainless case was perfect without a single finger print or scratch and the wheel on the front was just like new as well, no shiny worn spots and I get a brand new battery all one month before my warranty expires.

Well worth it!

22. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Go to the apple store.. Make up a story saying your phone won turn on... Say sum like u pulled out of your pocket once u go inside cuz it was raining.. And it wouldn't turn on... They may actually waive the damages.. Give u a free replacement..or they may give u a replacement price... Or lastly.. Do what they said at AT&T.. And u can use your old sim

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not only will they not give you a phone since the water damage sensor will be tripped, but that would be fraud and illegal.

24. jshelton macrumors 6502a

That is the biggest crock of horse s**t I have ever heard.

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Apparently, the OP would rather just pay $1,908 per year, plus taxes for that additional line. Me; I'll take the refurb 24/7. :eek::rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.