Iphone file explorer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonydsam, Jul 23, 2010.

1. tonydsam macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am new to the world of the iphone and while I love the interface I am shocked about some of the things that my other phones have been able to do that the iphone cant, such as creating contact groups, text message tones, no profiles, no fm radio etc. Usually there is an app to fill in the gaps so I am not that worried but one of the things I dont seem to be able to find is an app that will replicate windows explorer on the iphone so I can monitor the file sizes of the videos I take and rename files.

Anybody now of such an app?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone has no real file system as we're typically used too on a computer so there's no file explorer app available, nor would apple approve of such an app.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The iPhone's file system is virtually identical to that of a Mac OS X computer (which is itself a Unix-like system).

Apple doesn't allow Developers to access the file system though (they can only store things in a folder specific to their App).

4. tonydsam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies,doesn't sound like this is going to happen. Does everyone just keep track of this via iTunes?

5. tjwaggoner macrumors regular

I think you can estimate pretty accurately the size of a video by the length of it. Im not real sure but Ive heard this. Other than that you can go to settings-general-about and it will show free space and the number of songs, pictures, videos you have stored but not their size or name. Come to think of it, Ive never seen "name" for anything on an iphone other than a song or app....thats crazy, never thought about it before just now. Anyway you could google how to estimate the size of your vids by the length of them.