iphone file to video file

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ThatGirl, Jan 25, 2009.

1. ThatGirl macrumors regular

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a way to convert a video made for the iPhone to a video that can be viewed on my MacBook? I have searched but can only find conversion software for converting to iPhone but not from iPhone.

Thanks!

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

iPhone video file? All video files that can be played on the iPhone can run in quicktime on your computer...

3. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I probably did not ask the question correctly. Sorry. I'll try again. I have a file that was made for the iPhone. I paid for it and downloaded it. I don't have an iPhone. I would like to play it on my MacBook. When I double click on it, it opens iTunes and shows that I bought it through iTunes, but it does not play in iTunes. It was not made for iTunes.

I tried to convert it to something I can usually play, such as .avi, .mov, .flv, etc, but every conversion program I tried will not even load the file. They only will convert files to iPhones, not from.

How can I play it on my computer?

Thanks!

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you using the same iTunes account on the computer that you paid for it with?

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Where did you buy it? All files bought from iTunes will play in iTunes. There is no iPhone specific format. Maybe you need to reinstall quicktime, or something.

6. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm confused now. I followed the online link to buy it. The iTunes store opened at the item. I purchased it and it downloaded to my iTunes folder on my computer. I'm afraid I don't know more than that. Could it have been a different account and that makes a difference?

7. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it through iTunes Store but it says it is made for the iPhone and iTouch. I bought it anyway because I figured there would be some way to play it on my MacBook.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, you bought and downloaded it through iTunes on the computer you are trying to play it on?

It should play in iTunes or QuickTime.

Try repairing permissions through Disk Utility.

9. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Oh darn it. It says it is an "App". That is probably the whole problem, right? Now I have no idea. Oh well. It was only .99 but still, I really wanted to see it!

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

oh yeah, that's an application. There's no way to convert it. That's like trying to convert your Safari Web Browser to a jpeg.

PS: what app did you buy? What app is just a video?

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

12. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I feel pretty dumb for bothering you guys now. Maybe there is software to run an iPhone app on the MacBook.

Thanks!

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sorry, there most definitely is not.

14. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't mean to step on any toes. I thought since both were Apple products it was possible.

Thanks for your patience and for trying to help!

15. JollyRogers macrumors regular

What app was it???

You actually may be able to download the Apple iPhone Software Developer Kit (SDK) and run it through the iphone emulator? I am not sure if this will work... But if it is important, then you join the Apple iPhone Developer (use your apple ID), become sign up for iphone development, and download the SDK. It is a fairly big size download and installs xcode also. I know the iphone sdk comes with and iphone emulator to test apps on the computer for development... Just not sure if you can use the .app in your itunes library to run on that? Probably more effort then it is worth... or if someone has an itouch that is willing to sync one time with your itunes so you can see it???

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Doesn't it cost money to become an iPhone dev?

(I don't feel like looking it up right now.)

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

it doesn't cost money and no, you cannot run a compiled app in the iPhone emulator. It emulates the iPhone environment, not architecture.