iPhone file, WinSCP ".png" errors

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by strodda, Sep 29, 2010.

1. strodda macrumors regular

it only happens sometimes, and ive yet to figure out why or what causes it. But when i copy png's over to my computer, some of them come out blank. and when i try to open and look at them with ACDsee(my photo viewer), it says "the source data format is not recognized".

is there some sort of security issue within the iphone thats corrupting files when being transferred????

2. celticpride678

iPhone PNG files are in a different format that cannot be viewed on a computer without running some hacks.

3. strodda thread starter macrumors regular

But SOME of them do show. Could it be that not all png's are of this special type?

Or maybe I could be confused, and the files I remember seeing are png files from WB themes.

I'm running win7, is there a way to view and edit?

4. Blue26 macrumors member

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

6. strodda thread starter macrumors regular

yes they are!!!

too damn smart, so it seems. eventhough they try to fight jailbreaking, knowing it would happen, they made it difficult to edit an icon file... WTF!!!!!

is there any real purpose to create a special png other than what its causing with us right now?

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

the iphone images are "optimized". I assume that part of this optimization is removing any image data that isn't read by the phone, so on other devices it shows up as a blank. This is all done to conserve space/make things more speedy. If you have winterboard, there is an option called "optimize pngs" which AFAIK will make them all blank like that.

8. dgstan macrumors 6502a

You would think that someone would create a .png editor that would "un-optimize" them on the fly.

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Come on now. Apple is not doing this to piss off people who Jailbreak their iPhones.

You can use iFile to email the png to you and it will be unoptimized.

S-

10. strodda thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I know. You can also just add to camera roll, but that is a pain to deal with if I wnt more than one png.

11. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder