iPhone finally coming to Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lahamus@mac.com, Oct 25, 2007.

1. lahamus@mac.com macrumors newbie

Rogers, which is the only company capable of carrying the iPhone has scheduled an important announcement for today - October 25th. Speculation, within and without, is that it has to do with the iPhone . . . . is it finally coming, and at what cost???

2. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

3. metoo6000 macrumors regular

4. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

Molson says much-hyped iPhone contest a mistake

Sorry Canada, you have to wait longer.

Apparently somebody contacted Rogers and asked about the iPhone. Apparently they responded with a "not before next year," which Molson took to mean January, and started this contest.

5. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

This way you have a LEGAL simunlockt phone and can simply use regular Apple updates without having the need of hacking. Many people might get this over the bridge.

Thats why... read first.

6. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Well they're not going to make any friends with such jokes :(
    Still, I have to wait till Jan. anyway, Holland always comes last. But for the Canadians such "jokes" could be not too funny

7. Croatian macrumors 6502

Where did u read this or get this information from

8. lahamus@mac.com thread starter macrumors newbie

not from Molson campaign

It was in the Montreal Gazette this morning and is not related to the Molson campaign. Both companies have already denied the information in the campaign. My understanding from someone within the Rogers hierarchy is that the announcement will be about the iPhone and that is what the Gazette printed this morning as well. We shall see . . .

9. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I'm really surprised iPhone isn't available in Canada & Australia yet. So much sales potential in those countries and the technological advantage lifespan of the current iPhone is ticking away.

10. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Sure Canada would be a great market, but the Blackberry is from Canada and I believe they're largely faithful.

I could be wrong, but this seems like something that is possibly making Apple pursue other markets first...

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Apple is simply going in order of size of market.

Looks like it is canada't turn now.

12. Echinda macrumors regular

Not sure I buy that. I'm from Canada and have been a blackberry user for about 6 years. I've always liked it because its email app makes me more productive. But the instant something with a better app comes along (or an equal quality app with a bunch of great extras) I'm switching. Bberries are about productivity. If something else will make me more productive, nationalism isn't even going to be a blip on my radar when I make my decision.

13. metoo6000 macrumors regular

Thanks, but I read first.
    I am questioning because it is still too expensive even though it will be unlocked.
    Seriously... who are going to pay $800 for iPhone unless they are Apple mania or rich?

14. JamSandwich macrumors regular

Yeah, there's all sorts of speculation this is the iPhone, and I hope it is... but if that's indeed the case, I hope Apple has really pushed Rogers on launching a highly competitive (for Canada) plan.

I expect the phone to come in at $400.. give or take $30... more than that and I'll wait (very price-sensitive right now). If the plans are anywhere near what they're offering at AT&T, I'll buy one, even though it means a meteoric jump in what I'm paying for my current phone (pay as I go). If it's clear you're going to end up with huge service bills, I might just end up getting an iPod touch, even though I want that complete one device.

As for BlackBerry, they're not exactly cheap (and nowhere near as sexy).... and the last time I checked, they were pretty darned expensive to use...

Of course, this could be just some crappy "other" announcement from Rogers.... "we're offering cable in more cities now!"

15. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Probably Europeans like myself. Think of it this way; import a sim unlockt version of the iPhone for about 560€ and take a contract (at least here in Holland) that suites you, incl. unlimited data for about 20€ a month = 800€ for the first and about another 120€ for the next year, or, buy a simLOCKT phone by the time it gets here, at a 50€ 2 year contract (=1200€).
    Besides, you probably even have to buy the iPhone itself with it = 1200+400 (presumably, with Apple its $=€)= 1600€.

But in case of citizens of the USA, I understand it isn't really a great offer...
    The dollar is quite low at this moment, and at least for me, Dutch as I am :), this means making some profit from it...

PS; I know the whole "paying for the phone itself" at 400€ might sound ridiculous, but I'll probably be that, or take it at say, 129€, but you'll have to take a larger, I think a lot larger contract...

16. Echinda macrumors regular

Well, the 25th came and went with no announcement.

17. JamSandwich macrumors regular

18. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Cant wait!! I have two unlocked iphones but if it comes to Canada I will sell one and get a Canada version.:)

19. JamSandwich macrumors regular

20. Tsuius macrumors regular

Fancy new data network annoucement with prices that noone can afford...
    These guys are out to lunch.

21. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

There's probably a lot of truth in your statement. Just seems odd to me. Canada is like the next door neighbor and accounts for a very large percentage of US international trade overall.

We can buy an iPhone in Niagra Falls New York but not if you cross the river north. I'm sure there are some not so public reasons for the iPhone not being in Canada yet; to include a trade mark dispute and possibly Blackberry trying to muscle the entities that be to slow down the iPhone invasion.

22. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Any word? I checked the Roger's web site and didn't see any mention of the iPhone.

I've seen some places selling unlocked iPhones for $650. I'm thinking of picking one up but I'd hate to be stuck at v1.1 or whatever the unlocked version is. I suspect that Apple will be constantly upgrading the phone with new features (there's a lot of room for improvement IMO) so i'm reluctant to buy an unlocked phone. At the same time, I don't want to pay an extra $20 ++ per month for a slow data network. I'd rather just use a voice plan and hook up via faster WiFi where available.

23. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone