Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi all, I've searched high and low on the Internet and I can't seem to find any way to find what the currently installed version of the iPhone SDK is. I'm pretty sure I upgraded to atleast Beta 6 because that required installation of OS X 10.5.3. However, it looks like Beta 7 has been released and I don't know if that was the version I installed (since Beta 6 and Beta 7 came out within days of each other). I'd rather not waste bandwidth downloading a 1 GB image, but if I must I must.

All kinds of local searches (in .plist files and what not) everything appears to just be signed with iPhone SDK 2.0 (not indicating a beta build or anything). If it helps, the build number for Beta 6 is 2192 and the build number for Beta 7 is 2199.

Thanks!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Run the iPhone simulator, go to the Settings app and then About. If the Version is 2.0 (5A331) then you have beta 7.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Open Xcode and go to About Xcode in the Xcode menu. If it says the following you are running beta 7:

Xcode IDE: 1099.0
Xcode Core: 1100.0
ToolSupport: 1086.0

Actually I'm pretty sure Xcode didn't change between beta 6 and beta 7...

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks all! After a little bit of digging through the craptastic SDK documentation, I stumbled upon this nugget: the official way to get the build version of your current SDK.

cat /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS2.0.sdk/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

jasonmedeiros

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
Use System Profiler

I've decided to cross-post my answer to a similar Stack Overflow question.

The best place to check which version of the iPhone SDK you have installed is to use System Profiler.

Apple Menu > About this Mac > More Info... > Software > Developer

Once there, you'll see version and build numbers for all of the major components of the Developer Tools. The top level version and build number corresponds to the name of the disk image you downloaded from Apple.

Update: PhoneyDeveloper (below) has informed me that this doesn't work in Leopard. I totally forgot that some people might not be on Snow Leopard.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1480184/how-do-i-determine-which-iphone-sdk-i-have/

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
That doesn't work for me. I see Software but no Developer. I see Xcode under Software > Applications and it tells me its version is 3.1.4 which isn't that useful.

I'm on Leopard. Are you on SL?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.