iPhone firmware 1.1.1 and prepaid card?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cjbrx3115, Sep 29, 2007.

1. cjbrx3115 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I currently have the firmware 1.0.2 installed on my iPhone. With the new features of 1.1.1, I really think that downloading it could be a really good idea!

But I already have heard a bunch of stories regarding iPhones getting bricked by this update because they were unlocked, which brings me to my question:

My iPhone has been activated with an AT&T (Cingular) Prepaid SIM card (via http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...r_windows.html). Would this qualify as an "unlocked" phone? If so, then would I still be able to upgrade the firmware, because I'm technically still on the AT&T network?

If not, I will stay put. I don't want to brick my phone, because I LOVE IT!

If any of you have done this or know anything about it, help would be greatly appreciated. And maybe it would just be safe to stay where I am until the iPhone Dev Team comes to rescue me and my phone.

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Did you unlock your phone? Does not sound like it. Your fine. Its when you use iUnlock and such that the phone may get bricked. Signing up for pre-pay is not unlocking the phone.

3. cjbrx3115 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I used a Cingular Prepaid SIM card in my phone. I had to use iAsign and stuff to generate ICCID, IMEI and stuff like that. The original tutorial from which I followed this hack is here:

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_using_cingular_for_windows.html

(Thanks to Mark from HackTheiPhone.com!)

4. unity macrumors 6502a

I'll let someone else say for sure. I was under the impression that you dont have to do anything to the iPhone for pay as you go. I know two cases where people have done so if their credit or age do not permit a regular contract. Thats why I figured you did not use any software.

edit: ok, re-read that. Pay as you go versus pre-paid. Gotcha.