Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
so you can view every single office document in existence BUT do you think an app will be released so you can EDIT documents?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Possibly, nothing has been announced by anyone yet as far as I am aware.

Win Mobile is obviously the best platform for this. I'm sure the MacBU would love to do some iPhone stuff, just depends on whether it fits in with what Microsoft are trying to do strategically (in all likelihood, probably not).

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Trying to do any serious editing to office (or iWork) documents seems like it would be terrible on any phone-sized device. It's bad enough on a full sized computer.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
With all it's new 'enterprise' features apple have marketed with the iphone i'm surprised not even basic editing is acceptable...ie, putting some simple numbers in excel or editing a word document with bold, italics and underline. I'm not asking for a fully fledged editing device but some simple features would be great.

All we can hope on is dev's and the app store unless apple blocks it and has an 'iphone iwork' in the works for the future...

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I hope there is an option for that as it'll be great for someone to have the ability to edit documents on the go. It'll be even better if we could access the files on iDisk from the iPhone. That'll be a lifesaver some day. I'm shocked that they left that out for the iPhone. I thought the iPhone should have that option.

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
This is something I can do on my ipaq and was hoping the iPhone could do - as I intend the iPhone to replace my iPaq.

I don't use it often, but occasionally like to edit a spreadsheet and maybethe odd word doc.

Unless there is a good Mileage recorder/tracker App :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Editing aside - I'd love to just be able to STORE documents on there for viewing - similar to the notes functionality of every iPod from the last 5 years.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
yes, i have a lot of pdf ebooks so i'd like a way to pick one in some sort of finder.

Also the prospect of creating PP presentations and connecting the tv out of an iphone to view them would be something else... :)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I know there were a couple of developers that were sending their test documents for just this reason, but some of their ebooks were still having a few glitches. I had requested some legal briefs along the lines of research documents available through "iStor" an academic research engine, but there was a bunch of work on the receiver's end and it got a bit confusing with all the formatting issues. They did some nice work, but for some reason, once they reached a certain stage in their testing, everything came to a screeching halt. I'm certain we'll hear from them quite soon. :cool:

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Editing aside - I'd love to just be able to STORE documents on there for viewing - similar to the notes functionality of every iPod from the last 5 years.

Its a bit of a work around but just put the files in your IMAP email folders....

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Its a bit of a work around but just put the files in your IMAP email folders....

Yeah, I know but it's just so frustrating having to roll through emails, wait for them to download etc. I'd much rather have a tab in iTunes up there with Music, Movies, Photos etc called "data" or "documents" where I can just drag and drop them onto a little window and have them copied across into a section on the iPod where I can view them independently of internet connectivity and without the ability to accidentally delete them.

I shouldn't have to keep my documents in my email system just to be able to see them on the iPhone/iPod touch.

The iPhone and iPod touch are described as the "best iPods ever" despite lacking some considerably functional features found in iPods now for many years.

bavarian3

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
I think it would be interesting to see what comes of the interface.....

That being said, I agree with the person who said it is a PIA to edit documents even with a computer. BUT I don't see a point if you can't edit a document that is shared among groups.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Trying to do any serious editing to office (or iWork) documents seems like it would be terrible on any phone-sized device. It's bad enough on a full sized computer.

you mostly edit the documents on a PDA, which is very useful and should be standard on any device.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
This is one thing that makes me say WTF? It makes no sense to me that we can't edit documents on our iPhones. Its not that I want to create a keynote presentation or create an intricate spreadsheet, but I sure would like to be able todo some edits. There's been several times at work that this functionality would have been very helpful.

I'm willing to bet that we will see some 3rd party apps that will let you edit documents. I want something that will let me edit and store documents in the cloud.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
What gets me is I can do this so easy on my Motorola Q, which I only paid $99 for over a year ago. I'm kind of amazed at the folks who don't see this as a real need. But I know, Apple said you don't need it, so you don't need it. They need to get in tune with the rest of the world. Docs-To-Go has been around for years. I use my Word documents to keep my travel plans up to date and constantly consult them when traveling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.