iPhone firmware 2.1 - UK thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverickuk, Sep 12, 2008.

1. maverickuk macrumors member

Hey guys,

I've started a new thread, for UK iPhone users, so we can track network issues easier.

These updates seem to effect UK and US users differently.

Before the update I was browsing the net on 3G/Edge fine, it would switch between the two because the 3G signal strength here is weak but Edge is fine.

Now, after update 2.1 I can't even perform a Google search on Edge or 3G. It tried and tried and finally gives me the error that the server has stopped responding. This is the same for any page I try to access.

The network could be congested but I've not had this issue so far in the time I've had the first and second gen iPhones.

UPDATE: If edge drops and falls in to standard GRPS I can get a page to load slowly (as expected)

UPDATE 2: Still playing about with it, with 3G on and off etc. I hope to god I'm just in a very dodgy signal area but one minute it's showing full 3G, then EDGE and then I'm back on just GPRS. I've not bloody moved the whole time.

Pages are loading intermittently. I'm gonna stop testing for a while and just assume it's the network until I've had more time to test in multiple locations. But do post if you experience issues.

Anybody else had this issue?

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I used to get 1/2 bars of 3G where i live. Now i get No Service :(

3. SoSII macrumors member

I have the same problem. After 2.1 update this morning I tried loading a page in safari with 3g on. No dice. I reset the phone (ie power cycle) and it worked a couple of times so I thought all was fine. Since then I just get the 'server stopped responding' message all the time. All the time i have 4-5 bars of 3G. If I turn it off, I can load with GPRS (no EDGE coverage at home for me). Is it a lack of signal or is something broken??

Help....:mad:

4. mrtrilby macrumors member

I used to experience the behaviour described in the first post with 2.02 in areas with a weak 3G signal. It was easiest just to turn 3G off in order to get pages to load.

I don't live anywhere near 3G service to have had chance to see how things have changed with firmware 2.1 yet.

5. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

I must be honest, I've never really noticed a difference between any of the updates?

6. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

I never use Accessories with my iPhone. . . but every-time i go in SMS messaging it brings up the dialogue "Accessory not compatible with iPhone. . .Turn on Airplane mode?".

Why does it do this?

7. lhw455 macrumors newbie

Have you had water anywhere near the iPhone? If so, that error appears as a result of water damage. If you're lucky and the water damage indicators are not red, you should be able to get a replacement phone. Otherwise leave it to dry off for a few days.

8. thbuckland macrumors newbie

I've noticed an improvement in 3G reception at work in Knightsbridge. I was previously pushed to find 1-2 bars of reception, have had 5 bars all day.

9. SoSII macrumors member

Ive figured what is going on (but have no fix).

My observation is that I get a lot more signal (bars) than before the update. However, If i turn off 3g (or turn on/off wifi) then I can still make calls when 3g is reactivated (still lots of bars) but I have no data connection. I need to power cycle to get data back. When I do, I am getting 0.67Mps download on testmyiphone site, which is ok I guess.

Nonetheless, having to power-cycle to regain data on 3g is ridiculous.

Anyone else seeing this...? Is it just that I am in a poor 3g spot (even though i have lots of bars). Why does the phone not pick up data connection but does still make calls?? This is bizarre...

:confused:

10. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

My phone is the same but my roommates seems worse. His also can't even perform a google search

11. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

No way ! I've never had it near water! :eek:

12. lhw455 macrumors newbie

I suggest taking it back to Apple for a replacement then, there is probably something wrong with the dock connector.

13. r0bbert macrumors newbie

mines exactly the same , server not responding ! face book and myspace womt load either

14. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I havn't had chance to check 3G/Edge yet as at home I get neither

However on the basic slow network (GPRS?), I am now getting 3 bars of strength, before I only had one

When I am at work I get a strong 3G signal, so will see how it performs tomorrow

15. steveapp macrumors member

Hey all

When I first updated (first half hour) it was a bit dodgy with conections (highly technical description i know!) but i Turned airplane mode on and off and it seemed to pick things up ok - i did the same thing when i first got the phone on 11 July

Since then its been fine, wouldnt say its perfect but O2 coverage here is a bit patchy - the only network that has great coverage is Vodaphone but no iPhone or good deals from them!

Generally though im happy with my phone, always have phone coverage and at home and work I get wifi - out and about it flips nicely between gprs, edge and full hsdpa 3g with speeds up to 1.8kbps so no real complaints here.

16. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Well I was lucky and neer had issues until 2.0.2, never had to restore because of an app etc, so was hoping for 2.1 to solve everything and get me back to 1.1.4 levels of stability...

...and it has. For both my 3G and my wifes 2.5G. Both are much smoother, no lag anywhere, plenty of apps installed (well until i removed all the crappy ones) contacts are instant, web browsing is like wifi fast on 3G, and best of all Locate Me has finally started working properly (as in cell triangulation when indoors and GPS outside - before it didn't work where i Live, but worked 140 miles away in Nottingham perfectly!)

Couldn't be happier with my 3G now, works exactly as expected.

If people are still having issues maybe you should return the phone? I got mine the week after launch and never had an issue.

17. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

When using 2.02 I was getting around 1 bar of 3G signal whilst at home in Balham, London. I too was turning off 3G whilst at home because I was getting such bad signal during calls. Since the update, I have been getting 3 bars.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in battery life? Usually I have to charge every night but now I can go 2 days.

18. NekoFever macrumors member

My 3G reception has been much better with 2.1. I live right on the edge of O2's 3G coverage in this area according to the map on the website, and whereas before I'd get one bar at most, I'm now getting 3-4, occasionally jumping up to five depending on where in the house I am. I just turned wi-fi off to test it and was able to browse the Internet at good speeds.

It also seems much faster at handing off from 3G to EDGE. When I'm walking the dog or something and wander further outside the 3G zone it will flick between them almost instantly, whereas 2.0.2 and below would hang around on one 3G bar for ages and then give me no signal for 2-3 seconds when it finally dropped it.

Well impressed with the update so far.

19. synagence macrumors 6502a

I'm getting massive improvements where i live ... i couldn't even get EDGE in my apartment on 2.0.x ... now i get 3 bars 3G and a 1.6Mbps connection.

While i was in town yesterday i was seeing it flipping between 3G and EDGE but i then looked at my wifes SonyEricsson K850i and it was doing exactly the same.

I did find it seemed to struggle occasionally when switching between the networks but overall i think i'm happy with the improvements.

20. chrisparr macrumors regular

I only got my 3G iPhone a few days ago and was going to upgrade to 2.1 today, but now I'm not so sure.

It looks like I can't go straight to 2.1 as iTunes is still asking me to upgrade to 2.0.2, and from following this forum that not a fantastic upgrade either. I'm guessing I have v1.1.4 but I haven't found out where to find the version yet.

From the thread so far it seems more people are having trouble than are not (I may start a UK poll to keep track of the numbers.).

The only problem I've had so far reared it's head this morning. Whilst surfing the web over the mobile network (not 3G, but not sure how to tell if it is edge or gprs), I got a few server not found errors and then a longer error message with an error string (can't remember exactly what it was).

I may wait for further posts before I decide.

21. ninthart macrumors newbie

ninthart

I'm getting miles better reception from this update. In my home office, I couldn't get 3G at all, and Edge only intermittently. Now I get a full five bars on 3G and a speed of 1.69Mbps (download).

22. ninthart macrumors newbie

ninthart

If it's edge, there's an 'E' in a box if pre 2.1. If GPRS, there's a dot in a box pre 2.1.

HTH...

23. chrisparr macrumors regular

Thanks for that.

It was GPRS then as I've never seen an 'E', normally just the dot and in some areas 3G.

24. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Seems to me that where I live (Reading), I now only get GPRS when I'm indoors, but outdoors signal seems to have remained the same.

Doesn't really affect me though as I have wireless at home and at college so outdoors is the only time I really need it.

25. SoSII macrumors member

For the sake of closure, just thought id update.

Looks like this issue was a problem with local tower(s). I now have full 3g data without having to power cycle. Just checked and get ~1.2-1.3 Mbps down and 0.24-0.25 up. No need to toggle anything etc.

I wonder how many of the strange effects people see worldwide are due to local issues/outages, rather than more global service issues or iphone problems.

Anyway, Im pretty happy with this machine right now. Battery life seems really good and seems pretty stable now after 2.1.

Joy is (perhaps temporarily) mine:)