Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therapy boy

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
You can actually unlock your phone with pwnage tool for mac. Download the latest one. Now I'm not quite sure how to use pwnage tool (I have windows- bleh, I wish I had a mac). What I believe you will do is download the 2.1 firmware to your mac but you don't actually update to 2.1. You will use pwnage tool to build a custom firmware and then you actually RESTORE to the custom firmware you made (on windows it's SHIFT+click RESTORE, but on macs I think it's command+click, the apple button, but I think I may be wrong though, so check before doing it. Just youtube search pwnage tool 2.1 unlock or something....). Then you will have an unlocked/jailbroken iphone. (WILL NOT WORK FOR 3G. IT WILL ONLY JAILBREAK A 3G) but you said you used ziphone, which was WAY before 3g so if you are on a 2g/edge iphone, you will be fine, which I'm assuming you are. The process will take some time, as restoring usually does (for me, when I used winpwn to unlock 2.0 to 2.0.2, it took an hour and a half or so.

Good luck
Well after a nerve wracking 2 hours I got EVERYTHING to work we are now on 2.1 unlocked and ready to rock Thanks for all your help and support:D

telmerco

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2006
iPhone 2G already at latest 2.1

I have an old 2G iPhone (purchased a 3G and using it currently with ATT). The 2G is fully up-to-date from syncing with iTunes 8.01 (or whatever the latest is). I don't think the phone is activated (it still has a the old sim card but shows no service as I don't pay for two ATT accounts). How do I unlock this from this state? do I need to put in my new sim card and activate it first?

Thanks in advance, Colin

(I looked through this thread to see if I am repeating this question but I couldn't find it - apologies if I missed it)

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
I may aswell make sure I've got everything. I have a 16gb 2g iphone running 1.1.3 that was jailbroken and unlocked using ziphone. I now want to upgrade to 2.1. I have downloaded quickpwn the 2 bootloaders 3.9 and 4.6 and the restore fw. Is that all I need to go from 1.1.3 to 2.1?? I will have no issues either keeping it unlocked or re unlocking and jailbreaking it??

Cheers

I have never gone from 1.1.3 to 2.x firmwares. You may have to restore to 2.0 to 2.0.2 and unlock it with winpwn 2.5. Then hit update to 2.1 and the unlock will follow (or should follow).

BUT that would take way to long. I would suggest restoring to 2.1 by turning it off after you connect it to itunes, hold home and sleep for 10 seconds then just home for 5 sec until itunes says found phone in recovery mode. HOLD SHIFT and click restore and navigate to the 2.1 firmware. (the phone wont know what has happened, it just knows that it is now on 2.1. It is essentially wiping the iphone of everything it had so it has no recollection of every being 1.1.3) This will make your phone say 'no service' and should have the 'charge me' symbol saying connect to itunes. When you plug it in to the computer, it will say 'your sim is not recognized....' just exit itunes and open quickpwn and then it will make sure your phone is on 2.1 then it will ask you to browse for where you saved the 2.1 firmware on your comp. Then it will bring you to the check boxes. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK UNLOCK DEVICE. Then it will ask you for the bootloaders. Then it will ask you to put the phone in DFU mode and tells you when to hold the buttons and for how long. BUt for the last one (hold home for 30 seconds) Hold the home button UNTIL THE PHONE FLASHES AND HAS A HARD DRIVE PICTURE SAYING DOWNLOADING JAILBREAK DATA. Takes 15 min or so. Then will run bootneuter (unlocks phone, maybe 10 min more) then you will have a jailbroken/unlocked iphone 2g.

If you mess up the part with dfu mode, just try it again.

Good luck.

therapy boy

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
I may aswell make sure I've got everything. I have a 16gb 2g iphone running 1.1.3 that was jailbroken and unlocked using ziphone. I now want to upgrade to 2.1. I have downloaded quickpwn the 2 bootloaders 3.9 and 4.6 and the restore fw. Is that all I need to go from 1.1.3 to 2.1?? I will have no issues either keeping it unlocked or re unlocking and jailbreaking it??

Cheers

I have just done what you are about to do
I would suggest you use pwnage tool 2.x as quickpwn wont unlock it will just jailbreak go to http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1557 they have a great tutorial for mac and windows I used the mac one on how to do this and it worked It will take a bit of time but it does work
I suggest go to itunes 8 update to 2.1 then use pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock
good luck
if you mess up start pwnage again:)

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
I have an old 2G iPhone (purchased a 3G and using it currently with ATT). The 2G is fully up-to-date from syncing with iTunes 8.01 (or whatever the latest is). I don't think the phone is activated (it still has a the old sim card but shows no service as I don't pay for two ATT accounts). How do I unlock this from this state? do I need to put in my new sim card and activate it first?

Thanks in advance, Colin

(I looked through this thread to see if I am repeating this question but I couldn't find it - apologies if I missed it)

To unlock the phone, IF it is already up to date like you said, then USE QUICKPWN 2.1.

To start off, Quickpwn 2.1 for windows WILL unlock the phone. (quickpwn for pwnage tool will not, but pwnage tool will). The only thing is the your phone MUST FIRST BE AT THE DESIRED FIRMWARE YOU WANT TO UNLOCK. Meaning, for it to be able to unlock 2.1, you have to be on 2.1. The difference between quickpwn and winpwn is that winpwn builds a COMPLETELY NEW CUSTOM FIRMWARE that you will then RESTORE to. So you could be on version 1.0 and then just RESTORE to 2.0.2 (because winpwn 3.0 is not out). Quickpwn NEEDS YOUR PHONE TO BE ON 2.1. IT WILL UNLOCK.

I have used it. It works. Here is the dev teams website in case anyone would like to check out their updates. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

To unlock, if you are using a mac (if you are a windows, continue to next paragraph), to make things easy, just download pwnage tool. You will need to download the 2.1 firmware (even though you are up to date), and the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloaders. Pwnage tool will create a custom firmware which you will then restore too. I believe it has something like quickpwn which you could use just to unlock and jailbreak since you are up to date already. But I don't know how to use pwnage tool as I have a windows.

IF you are a windows user:
Download quickpwn 2.1. Download the 2.1 firmware (even though you are updated already). Download the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloaders. (Now, I believe pwnage tool's 'quickpwn like feature' is similar to quickpwn, because pwnage was made first).
Open quickpwn and plug your phone into the computer. When Itunes opens, just exit itunes.
Quickpwn will AUTOMATICALLY determine what you are using. It will make sure you are on the 2.1 firmware as well. Then, It may or may not ask you to browse for the 2.1 firmware you downloaded. If it does, find it and continue. It will ask you to check what you want installed on your phone (cydia, installer, custom boot logos, and UNLOCK DEVICE (so everyone shut up, it does unlock)). Make sure you check unlock device. If you don't want it jailbrokem don't check cydia/installer BUT MAKE SURE YOU CHECK UNLOCK DEVICE. It will then ask you to browse for the bootloaders. Click browse and navigate to where you saved them and insert each one in its designated spot. It will tell you where to put them. (If you check custom boot logos, it will bring you to a menu telling you to pick a picture of your own or use theirs. I don't use custom boot logos so I don't know where it will ask you to do this). Click next and it will tell you preparing your device. THEN PAY ATTENTION TO THE LETTERS AT THE TOP. They will turn black and this is your part. It will say 'hold home button for 5 seconds (and counts down). hold power button AND home button for 10 seconds (and counts down). Hold home for 30 seconds (and counts down. BUT KEEP HOLDING UNTIL THE PHONE FLASHES AND HAS A PICTURE OF A HARD DRIVE, THEN LET GO). If you mess up, just start over but wait till it tells you that 'it cannot find device' or something similar to that. Then wait until it finishes, and the phone will reboot. when it does, it will be unlocked and/or jailbroken. If it doesn't reboot, turn off and then turn back on and it should be unlocked and/or jailbroken. IT will say no service (as you are not paying for 2 services) but you can use it essentially like an ipod touch. Or sell it.

Good luck

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
I have just done what you are about to do
I would suggest you use pwnage tool 2.x as quickpwn wont unlock it will just jailbreak go to http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1557 they have a great tutorial for mac and windows I used the mac one on how to do this and it worked It will take a bit of time but it does work
I suggest go to itunes 8 update to 2.1 then use pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock
good luck
if you mess up start pwnage again:)

Cheers. So I have to connect my iphone and upgrade to 2.1 through itunes when prompted, then follow the instructions on iclarified?

therapy boy

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
To unlock the phone, IF it is already up to date like you said, then USE QUICKPWN 2.1.

Colin, proceed for steps about unlocking, unless you want to read what I have to say about therapyboy's ignorance (I'm sorry therapyboy, I do appreciate you saying thank you to me for the help, but please. Come on....)

THERAPYBOY, You are wrong. Quickpwn WILL unlock the phone. The only thing is the your phone MUST FIRST BE AT THE DESIRED FIRMWARE YOU WANT TO UNLOCK. Meaning, for it to be able to unlock 2.1, you have to be on 2.1. The difference between quickpwn and winpwn is that winpwn builds a COMPLETELY NEW CUSTOM FIRMWARE that you will then RESTORE to. So you could be on version 1.0 and then just RESTORE to 2.0.2 (because winpwn 3.0 is not out). Quickpwn NEEDS YOUR PHONE TO BE ON 2.1. IT WILL UNLOCK. WILL, WILL, WILL, WILL, WILL. As in quickpwn 2.1 IS ABLE TO, IS ABLE TO, IS ABLE TO UNLOCK.

It bothers me when people say things that have no meaning. I don't mean to be rude, therapyboy, but on what basis do you have allows you to say that quickpwn wont unlock? Have you tried it? Have you researched it? WELL, I have. I USED IT. IT WORKS. AND just go to the dev team website, and they will even tell you it will work TO UNLOCK your phone AS WELL AS jailbreak it. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ there you go. Check it it out. I'll even quote them:

"Supports 2.1 firmware with the unlocking and jailbreaking of iPhone 1st generation (2G) device. Supports the jailbreaking of iPod Touch 1st generation device and iPhone 3G. Your device will need to be upgraded to 2.1 (using iTunes 8) before running this application.

* It does NOT support the unlocking of iPhone 3G
* It does NOT support the jailbreaking of second generation iPod Touch introduced last week

* Windows QuickPwn 2.1 -
* (SHA1) QuickPwn21-1.zip = 8124d0e8f31f64ef3272de8fbc679e1dd1f93a7"

Colin,
To unlock, if you are using a mac (if you are a windows, continue to next paragraph), to make things easy, just download pwnage tool. You will need to download the 2.1 firmware (even though you are up to date), and the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloaders. Pwnage tool will create a custom firmware which you will then restore too. I believe it has something like quickpwn which you could use just to unlock and jailbreak since you are up to date already. But I don't know how to use pwnage tool as I have a windows.

IF you are a windows user:
Download quickpwn 2.1. Download the 2.1 firmware (even though you are updated already). Download the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloaders. (Now, I believe pwnage tool's 'quickpwn like feature' is similar to quickpwn, because pwnage was made first).
Open quickpwn and plug your phone into the computer. When Itunes opens, just exit itunes.
Quickpwn will AUTOMATICALLY determine what you are using. It will make sure you are on the 2.1 firmware as well. Then, It may or may not ask you to browse for the 2.1 firmware you downloaded. If it does, find it and continue. It will ask you to check what you want installed on your phone (cydia, installer, custom boot logos, and UNLOCK DEVICE (so everyone shut up, it does unlock)). Make sure you check unlock device. If you don't want it jailbrokem don't check cydia/installer BUT MAKE SURE YOU CHECK UNLOCK DEVICE. It will then ask you to browse for the bootloaders. Click browse and navigate to where you saved them and insert each one in its designated spot. It will tell you where to put them. (If you check custom boot logos, it will bring you to a menu telling you to pick a picture of your own or use theirs. I don't use custom boot logos so I don't know where it will ask you to do this). Click next and it will tell you preparing your device. THEN PAY ATTENTION TO THE LETTERS AT THE TOP. They will turn black and this is your part. It will say 'hold home button for 5 seconds (and counts down). hold power button AND home button for 10 seconds (and counts down). Hold home for 30 seconds (and counts down. BUT KEEP HOLDING UNTIL THE PHONE FLASHES AND HAS A PICTURE OF A HARD DRIVE, THEN LET GO). If you mess up, just start over but wait till it tells you that 'it cannot find device' or something similar to that. Then wait until it finishes, and the phone will reboot. when it does, it will be unlocked and/or jailbroken. If it doesn't reboot, turn off and then turn back on and it should be unlocked and/or jailbroken. IT will say no service (as you are not paying for 2 services) but you can use it essentially like an ipod touch. Or sell it.

Good luck

Wow why so angry
I know im not that experienced and I didnt know about having to be in 2.1 to get the unlock to work My phone was in 1.14 upgraded to 2.1 then quickpwned to discovered it was locked this was all done on a mac maybe its different I know nothing of PC's and it was just what I experienced and I have every right in the world to share what has happened to me whether its right or wrong (in your opinion) These forums are here to share so I shared Maybe I did something different what it does show is what happened to me didnt happen to you and if it helps others to hear all this so be it
and to be referd to as being ignorant IS insulting

dangoldie

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
I have a 1st generation iphone 4gb. I have an ATT sim and use the go phone.

I have never unlocked it or jailbroke it (by the way, what is the difference?)?

It is currently running 2.0.1. I am having problems in that it goes straight to voicemail or I get text messages late, even when I have all my bars showing. I called apple and they told me this is a common problem with 2.0.1 and to upgrade to 2.1

Here is my questions:

1. Difference between jailbreak and unlocked?

2. I will be traveling overseas and i have a SIM for the country I am going to. I want to be able to use my SIM in this iphone. I know i need to unlock it and possibly jailbreak it (if there is a difference). Will I be able to do this if my software is upgraded to 2.1? Or should I jailbreak / unlock before upgrading to 2.1? What programs do I need to use? I am on a PC running Vista.

All help appreciated!

(I have followed previous answers in this thread and am just getting confused, so sorry in advance if these answers are on this thread!)

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Wow why so angry
I know im not that experienced and I didnt know about having to be in 2.1 to get the unlock to work My phone was in 1.14 upgraded to 2.1 then quickpwned to discovered it was locked this was all done on a mac maybe its different I know nothing of PC's and it was just what I experienced and I have every right in the world to share what has happened to me whether its right or wrong (in your opinion) These forums are here to share so I shared Maybe I did something different what it does show is what happened to me didnt happen to you and if it helps others to hear all this so be it
and to be referd to as being ignorant IS insulting

Hey,
I understand what I said can be insulting. I wasn't saying you can't share what happened to you. But that isn't what you said. You simply said 'quickpwn doesn't work to unlock'. It may not have worked for you, so tell people THAT, but don't say it doesn't work at all, because this would be wrong. I wasn't angry, I was simply pointing out that you should be aware of what you say and what you mean to say.

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA

It is currently running 2.0.1. I am having problems in that it goes straight to voicemail or I get text messages late, even when I have all my bars showing. I called apple and they told me this is a common problem with 2.0.1 and to upgrade to 2.1

Here is my questions:

2. I will be traveling overseas and i have a SIM for the country I am going to. I want to be able to use my SIM in this iphone. I know i need to unlock it and possibly jailbreak it (if there is a difference). Will I be able to do this if my software is upgraded to 2.1? Or should I jailbreak / unlock before upgrading to 2.1? What programs do I need to use? I am on a PC running Vista.

All help appreciated!

(I have followed previous answers in this thread and am just getting confused, so sorry in advance if these answers are on this thread!)

more help for you later. So check back in a couple hours

therapy boy

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
Hey,
I understand what I said can be insulting...as it should be. I wasn't saying you can't share what happened to you. But that isn't what you said. You simply said 'quickpwn 2.1 doesn't work to unlock'. It may not have worked for you, so tell people THAT, but don't say it doesn't work at all, because that IS wrong. I wasn't angry, I was simply pointing out that you should be aware of what you say, and what you mean to say.

Ok so here it is
When I ran quickpwn on a mac I wasnt offered the chance to unlock or didnt see a chance to unlock maybe its different on a PC it did jailbreak but that seemed to be all Then I used pwnage tool and all went well, unlocked jaibreak and working so lets hope that clears things up I did see from the verious tutorials i read that quickpwn for PC does offer the unlock but I diddnt see it in the mac one

check this out and see if you can spot it I cant
http://www.iphone-hacks.com/2008/09...to-jailbreak-iphone-iphone-3g-guide/#more-583

Anyway as I said before your imput WAS very helpful and resulted in a pwned, unlocked and jailbreaked iphone on 2.1 which was the result i was after So once again Thanks:)

Just checked the quickpwn for windows tutorial on iClarified and yes you are right it does unlock BUT one big difference and that is the windows quickpwn is Quickpwn 2.1 and the Mac one is Quickpwn 1.1 so thats why I couldnt find the unlock maybe The Dev Team will give us Mac users 2.1 at some point So perhaps that explains it and hay maybe we are both right after all

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Ok so here it is
When I ran quickpwn on a mac I wasnt offered the chance to unlock or didnt see a chance to unlock maybe its different on a PC it did jailbreak but that seemed to be all Then I used pwnage tool and all went well, unlocked jaibreak and working so lets hope that clears things up I did see from the verious tutorials i read that quickpwn for PC does offer the unlock but I diddnt see it in the mac one

check this out and see if you can spot it I cant
http://www.iphone-hacks.com/2008/09...to-jailbreak-iphone-iphone-3g-guide/#more-583

Anyway as I said before your imput WAS very helpful and resulted in a pwned, unlocked and jailbreaked iphone on 2.1 which was the result i was after So once again Thanks:)

Just checked the quickpwn for windows tutorial on iClarified and yes you are right it does unlock BUT one big difference and that is the windows quickpwn is Quickpwn 2.1 and the Mac one is Quickpwn 1.1 so thats why I couldnt find the unlock maybe The Dev Team will give us Mac users 2.1 at some point So perhaps that explains it and hay maybe we are both right after all

I'd like to apologize for what I said. It was rude of me because I didn't know where you were coming from in saying that it doesn't work. I edited the posts too. Quickpwn 1.1 for mac will not unlock, as the dev team has made the most recent pwnage tool to unlock and jailbreak the iphone. It just is a longer process but is safer than quickpwn (not that quickpwn isn't safe, it just flashes the baseband which could result in problems, but you are more likely to get hit by a train going 15 miles an hour than to have that happen.

therapy boy

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
I'd like to apologize for what I said. It was rude of me because I didn't know where you were coming from in saying that it doesn't work. I edited the posts too. Quickpwn 1.1 for mac will not unlock, as the dev team has made the most recent pwnage tool to unlock and jailbreak the iphone. It just is a longer process but is safer than quickpwn (not that quickpwn isn't safe, it just flashes the baseband which could result in problems, but you are more likely to get hit by a train going 15 miles an hour than to have that happen.
I accept your apologese Thank you Lets hope the DEV team release Quickpwn 2.1 for Mac soon it would be so much easier Less messing around And hope there are no trains lurking about :D

Keep on posting You sure know your stuff

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA

Here is my questions:

All help appreciated!

(I use capital letters only to emphasize. I'm not mad when I use them :p )

I never actually had that problem on 2.0.1 but then again, I was only on it until 2.0.2 came out (a week later?).

Unlocking just means that you will have the ability to use another service/network provider than the one you are using. The iphone can be unlocked, but only for GSM phones (phones with a sim card). Some phones can be unlocked and used with any service (the blackberry, razr, many more). These are quad band phones. The iphone is dual band. There is also stuff with frequencies that they are set to, but no one cares about that. Think about a dual purpose motorcycle. They can go off road AND are street legal. This is the blackberry. The iphone is only street legal, so you can ride it anywhere...on the streets (GSM). The samsung instinct is only off road. It can't be used on the road (CDMA). So when people refer to unlocking, they usually mean GSM phones, cingular, tmobile, roger's wireless, etc. Most people don't unlock a quadband phone and switch to a CDMA network, its too much of a hassle, but can be done. If you unlock the iphone, you will likely get the jailbreak unless you don't want it (you check/uncheck a check box asking if you want the program that jailbreaks it as well).

Jailbreaking just gives you the ability to put third party apps on the phone. These can be anything from the kuran (spelling?) ebook, to a video camera. They are/tend to be free, but some will make you pay after a trial version. They are any apps not approved by apple. So non-app-store apps. The program is cydia or installer (I only use cydia) and you go in and select the apps you would like. They have a description of it and screenshots, then you install it. You will need to be connected to the internet to install the programs, you will need either a wifi connection or an edge/3g connection. (3g cannot be unlocked...yet).

To use it in another country, you will just need to unlock it. But the jailbreak can be fun.

To do this, you can upgrade to 2.1 THROUGH ITUNES 8.0 OR HIGHER. Then download the 2.1 firmware to your computer. Make sure its the iphone 1st gen 2.1 firmware. You will need to download the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloaders. And you will need to download quickpwn 2.1. I believe you can get these from ipodtouched.net, but you can also get them by googling them. They will probably be from a site called megaupload or rapidshare.

Quickpwn will AUTOMATICALLY determine what you are using. It will make sure you are on the 2.1 firmware as well. Then, It may or may not ask you to browse for the 2.1 firmware you downloaded. If it does, find it and continue. It will ask you to check what you want installed on your phone (cydia, installer, custom boot logos, and UNLOCK DEVICE (so everyone shut up, it does unlock)). Make sure you check unlock device. If you don't want it jailbroken then don't check cydia/installer BUT MAKE SURE YOU CHECK UNLOCK DEVICE. It will then ask you to browse for the bootloaders. Click browse and navigate to where you saved them and insert each one in its designated spot. It will tell you where to put them. (If you check custom boot logos, it will bring you to a menu telling you to pick a picture of your own or use theirs. I don't use custom boot logos so I don't know where it will ask you to do this). Click next and it will tell you preparing your device. THEN PAY ATTENTION TO THE LETTERS AT THE TOP. They will turn black and this is your part. It will say 'hold home button for 5 seconds (and counts down). hold power button AND home button for 10 seconds (and counts down). Hold home for 30 seconds (and counts down. BUT KEEP HOLDING UNTIL THE PHONE FLASHES AND HAS A PICTURE OF A HARD DRIVE, THEN LET GO). If you mess up, just start over but wait till it tells you that 'it cannot find device' or something similar to that. Then wait until it finishes, and the phone will reboot. when it does, it will be unlocked and/or jailbroken. If it doesn't reboot, turn off and then turn back on and it should be unlocked and/or jailbroken.

Good luck

GelleCC

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
I accept your apologese Thank you Lets hope the DEV team release Quickpwn 2.1 for Mac soon it would be so much easier Less messing around And hope there are no trains lurking about :D

Keep on posting You sure know your stuff

Thank you. And its not that I know my stuff; it's just from experience. I thought I bricked my phone like 18 thousand times when I first started out because I had no help. So now that I know what to do, I try to help others.

dangoldie

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
GelleCC

thanks for all the info! u did a great job explaining. im going to get on this tomorrow!

thanks again,

dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.