iPhone first start-up

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Oyvrot, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Oyvrot macrumors newbie

Okey, so here the deal; I just picked up my new iPhone 8 GB 3G (I wanted the white 16 GB, but the store didn´t have them in, but thats a different story)

Before I turn the iPhone on, I want to be completely sure im doing everything right! I have 16 GB or so of music on iTunes, and I do not want all of this on the phone, I only want some songs. Now, how do I go on about doing that? Do I have to check of every song I do and don´t want on iTunes, or is there a quicker way to do it? My dad recommended to make a new account for the iPhone on my MacBook, which I was kinda sceptic about.. Im sure there is a very easy way to do it, and im sorry if this is a very common asked/newbie question but I would really appreciate all useful answers!

The same issue goes for pictures. I have loads of pics on iPhoto, but I would rather have none on my phone.
    :apple:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You create playlists in iTunes, then populate that playlist with the songs you want, then when you connect your iPhone to iTunes, you can specify which playlists you want to upload to the iPhone. Same goes for Photos, they are all optional, you can selecet All, None, certain collections, or no integration with iPhoto, and instead just sync a specific folder(s) on the HD. The same goes for contacts (you can select which contact groups you want to sync), but I believe that you can only sync/not sync iCal and Bookmarks.

TEG

3. Oyvrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for quick answer!

Now the iTunes part I understood. I can myself choose the playlists I want to have on my phone. But I thought that iTunes automatically synched all the music to the phone, like with iPod, but I guess Im wrong? Will my iPod still work the same way when I connect it after connecting the phone?

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

You can set up your iPod or iPhone to sync all songs or just songs you choose. You can also use smart playlists to pick songs automatically, but based on conditions you choose. More details here.

Your iPod and iPhone can sync different songs off iTunes if that's how you want to set them up.

5. Oyvrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Okey, thanks a lot for the answers! It seems it´s not as difficult as I first thought!