iPhone first step toward the REAL future of computing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonewiz, Mar 27, 2008.

1. iphonewiz macrumors regular

OK, you got to give it up to the crew over there in Apple Inc. Lead by the entrepreneur of the century, Steve Jobs, they are single handedly putting the computer industry on their backs and carrying us to the next level of computing.

I often wonder what the PC will look like 20 years from now. Well, if we look back 20 years, the PC really hasn't changed much. We still have a CPU connected to a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Things just move alittle faster, (well not if you use Vista).

Flash forward back to the present. The crazy ones at Apple decided to see if they could fit a FULL computer, complete with a FULL OS inside a package the size of a 1/4 stack of 3x5 index cards. The CPU and monitor are fused together. The input and pointing devices have been virtualized so they can morph into whatever shape is needed, when it's needed.

Many thought it couldn't be done, but here we are. When I see things like the Nike + iTouch biometric training companion, my imagination runs wild. Stuff like we see in the Minority Report is just around the corner.

The next 20 years will NOT be like the previous 20 years. I can't be the only one who feels like this?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the iPhone form factor is the portable personal computer of the future. but people will still want the computer whatever form it may be connected to a huge LCD, keyboard and mouse for photo, movie editing, gaming etc.

when i bought an iPod 3 years ago i remember thinking it was pretty cool. then after buying a Mac i realised that the iPod is just a hard drive with an OS on it driving a LCD and outputing audio (simple i know :p).

now the iPod/iPhone form factor has an actual desktop OS on it optimised for handheld portabililty that can play audio and video and be controlled by your fingers. this is the future. its scary to think what Apple will come up with in 10 years time! :eek:

3. iphonewiz thread starter macrumors regular

Attached Files:

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you think the iPhone is a "full" computer, please put Adobe Creative Suite and iWork or MS Office on there. Yah. It's the future of ultra-portables, but I can't see the day when I won't need a laptop or desktop to go along with it. I mean you can't even activate an iPhone without a standard PC of some sort.

5. iphonewiz thread starter macrumors regular

Not the iPhone

My point is the iPhone is the Apple IIe. Ten or twenty years from now you will be able to run Adobe Creative Suite and iWork and MS Office (God forbid).

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Actually Adobe unveiled Photoshop Express Beta online today for free. I tried it on a G5 Power Mac and it looks pretty neat. Don't think you can use it with an iPhone b/c you have to upload photos, but this might be the way a LOT of things run in the future (Google Docs!).

7. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

That and it needs Flash 9. yikes

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think I meant to put that but didn't because my brain thought "well obviously it needs Flash to work." It's amazing how much stuff uses Flash. I had no idea until I started using an iPhone. HURRY UP, ADOBE! :)

9. EB66 macrumors 6502

im just glad to be born in this age where i will get to see some crazy stuff