iPhone Flash

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by janitorC7, Nov 23, 2007.

1. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

Here is what I want to know....

with all of the developers out there programming for the iphone.

How is it that nobody has brought Flash to the iphone, or brought us another browser that works with flash....

JC7

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

1) It isn't that easy.

2) The iPhone can barely load large web pages as it is, just imagine with flash?

3) Flash is almost pointless, it just "prettys" up a webpage. I thought i would need flash, but haven't come across an instance yet where i needed it.

3. page3 macrumors 6502

You jest. It loads big websites just fine. Your other points I do agree with though :)

4. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I think I've seen one (1) site that used Flash effectively. It really is overused and under utilized - and the web would be far better off without it :D

5. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Well I for one really miss having flash. I like watching videos at websites like NASCAR.com, CNN.com and yahoo.com and they all use flash players. I admit I could care less about the bells and the whistles flash brings to a website but I would like a flash video player.

6. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, AT&T uses flash for their retrieve a multimedia message website which is where a received MMS message directs U.S. iPhone owners.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's pretty funny, and very un-Apple, imo.

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

My sister sent me an MMS message tonight. I hadn't received one in a while.

It looks like AT&T slightly changed their MMS notification message.

It used to read, "I sent you a multimedia message. You can view my message via the internet at www.viewmymessage.com using Msg ID abcxyz123a Password 123789abc1"

Now it reads, "I sent you a multimedia message. You can view my message via the internet at viewmymessage.com using Msg ID abcxyz123a Password 123789abc1"

The difference? They removed www from the address which results in the iPhone NOT offering it up as an clickable link - which only added to the disappointment.

I don't think the iPhone needs flash; I think the internet needs to drop it (for the most part). It's used in many situations where a better solution exists.

9. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Flash is used to improve the look of pages, but I have had multiple sites where I needed flash and do not have it. The main one would be any video you want to watch that is not supplied by YouTube or Apple is usually a flash video. Also, some sites are entirely flash based. These sites are absolutely useless on the iPhone. Flash is difficult to develop for iPhone, but I don't see any reason why other smartphones can have flash but iPhone cannot. Whether you think so or not, flash IS needed in order to give a complete web browsing experience. I have a feeling that we will eventually see it.

10. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

did you sell your computer for a iPhone? :p

11. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

all I am saying is that you would think that if we could hack the iphone, why no new browser that has flash support

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We will probably get flash on the iPhone as a plugin from Adobe after apple releases the SDK, or if we are lucky, Adobe will have been one of the few people who got an early version of the SDK and we will see flash as one of the first third party programs on tuesday.

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

because there are a lot of different things that go into making a browser. there is a clear answer why apple and adobe haven't made a public comment about no flash, so who knows.

14. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Well, basically someone can't just go out an make a flash player for iPhone. Flash is owned by Adobe, so the only way we are ever going to see it on iPhone is is Adobe and Apple reach a deal and develop a mobile iPhone version of flash. Who knows, maybe it will be announced at MacWorld on Tuesday. I am expecting some cool iPhone announcements, I would be happy if Flash was one of them.

15. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

16. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Y'know, at first I thought it was crazy for the iPhone to not have Flash support, but I have to agree with your point #2.

A. Videos look stunning with the h.264 codec. I don't need flash for that (eg YouTube).

B. Many sites are moving back to simple code with SOME Flash content.

Sure it's frustrating to go to a site with a little flash app and not be able to view it, but I have found that it happens so rarely. Maybe it's just my crazy thinking, but it seems that companies move with the crowd. The crowd wants the iPhone, and companies that want their content to show up on the iPhone may conform to what it supports rather than handicapping accessibility to millions who have adopted the iPhone. *a-hem* The iPhone is killing Flash!!!! (*ducking tomatoes from Flash lovers*)