IPhone + Flash

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vkramer, May 28, 2008.

1. vkramer macrumors regular

Have there been any developments in regards to getting Flash on the Iphone - i haven't seen any new revalations for some months now.

I am a flash developer, and lack of flash on the iphone is kinda depressing.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I feel pretty confident that we'll see some changes for the iPhone and Flash! I want to be able to see those late breaking local news bulletins with Flash on my iPhone v. the little blue box with the stinkin' Question Mark!!! (My next AVATAR is it doesn't show up!) :mad:

3. neven macrumors 6502a

Since Adobe made the ill-advised "sure, we can do it" boast as soon as the SDK was announced, there have been no other publicized developments. The SDK/App Store terms specifically forbid development of something like a Flash player (or any other interpreted/compiled language/code) so Flash won't arrive to the iPhone in that way.

I'd describe Apple's interest in getting Flash on iPhone as indistinguishable from zero. Sorry, but I'd basically not hold my breath at all.

Have fun on the desktop! :)

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Apple is kinda-anti-flash, and flash is very CPU/battery intensive. As well, Apple expressly forbid anything like Flash from running in the SDK (pretty much anything that runs external scripts/code). So I wouldn't hold my breath.

5. friekunater macrumors 6502

think the iPhone will get flash. I mean look at it already - so many things packed in to that tiny shell already! how could better software be un-apple-like? new 3G iPhone should have a better battery, so it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal anyway

6. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Doubt it.

This is from before the SDK came out, but it still seems just as true today as it did then:

http://daringfireball.net/2008/02/flash_iphone_calculus

Basically, adding Flash to the iPhone is a risk for Apple with very little reward. Put those 2 things together and you end up with a situation that Apple isn't gonna go for anytime soon.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I doubt it. Jobs is unlikely to go back on his word, unless there's a decent reason.