Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I'm sure this topic has been covered to death but a quick search I wasn't able to find any on here.

I've never done this with any other iPhone release but I was wondering if people have luck buying two phones and flipping one for profit soon after Apple sells out. (which will most likely happen) I was going to use my upgrade to get a phone for myself but buy one off contract to then flip.

What are your feelings on the subject? Can you buy two iPhones on pre order day?

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
If you have the means to do it (the courage to go through cragslist, or to use ebay), go for it.
Provided you manage to even get one, that is, since many will be trying out "your" strategy.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Why's that? Apple's selling the phones to make money; what's wrong with an individual doing the same thing?

There's a difference between Apple putting tons of research & development, production, testing, marketing, and then trying to make money - and some dirtbag buying the phone and putting it on craigslist. It's sad that you fail to see the difference.

Besides, they have always had a 2 limit per person. Off contract phone pricing isn't exactly even cheap.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
There's a difference between Apple putting tons of research & development, production, testing, marketing, and then trying to make money - and some dirtbag buying the phone and putting it on craigslist. It's sad that you fail to see the difference.

Besides, they have always had a 2 limit per person. Off contract phone pricing isn't exactly even cheap.

So if it suddenly rains a lot and neighbor's grass grows quickly and I offer to mow their lawns for $30/each to make a few dollars without R&D, then I'm basically a dirtbag, huh?
mathews_laughing.gif

I totally LOVE capitalism. There's already a limit of two phones. If someone believes it's worth buying a second phone to flip in order to help make a college payment or buy a nintendo, why would I care?
mathews_doh.gif

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada

He's not forcing anyone to buy it, I thought this was america, is this not america?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Why's that? Apple's selling the phones to make money; what's wrong with an individual doing the same thing?

Because they are just trying to scalp people who haven't been able to obtain one via the store because they have sold out or have not received stock.

I guess it comes down to whether you are a decent person or not.

dopke

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
I'm sure this topic has been covered to death but a quick search I wasn't able to find any on here.

I've never done this with any other iPhone release but I was wondering if people have luck buying two phones and flipping one for profit soon after Apple sells out. (which will most likely happen) I was going to use my upgrade to get a phone for myself but buy one off contract to then flip.

What are your feelings on the subject? Can you buy two iPhones on pre order day?

Go for it!

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Because they are just trying to scalp people who haven't been able to obtain one via the store because they have sold out or have not received stock.

I guess it comes down to whether you are a decent person or not.

Because the iPhone is such a necessity that it's going to cost someone their life?
mathews_huh.gif

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can buy two, of course, but it's a douche move.

No it isn't. He's free to buy as many as Apple will permit and sell them. You may not like that behavior but certainly not a douche move. There's no harm in someone trying to make a little more money. Don't like that sort of thing, then you don't have to buy a phone that way, just buy it directly on apple.com

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Go for it, it's not like your going to loose money, you'll definitely break even if not making $100+.

Remember the ebay fees if you're going down the ebay route though.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Interesting to see peoples reaction to this topic. Thank you for you inputs.

People get crazy when something like this is released and when it sells out then they really get antsy. They will pay what ever to have the latest stuff. I'm not holding a gun to anyones head to for out 1k plus for a phone.

RTWG

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
No it isn't. He's free to buy as many as Apple will permit and sell them. You may not like that behavior but certainly not a douche move. There's no harm in someone trying to make a little more money. Don't like that sort of thing, then you don't have to buy a phone that way, just buy it directly on apple.com

Of course he's free to do so, as I acknowledged above, but I think it's a douche move because there are a lot of people who are eager to get the phone early, from Apple, for their own personal use, but may miss out on getting it straight away because scalpers get there first. I certainly wouldn't do it.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
I'm wondering how much you could realistically make.

Let's assume the iPhone 6+ Gold 16gb will be in most demand. (Yes, 16gb is typically in most demand to the general population).

You spend $749 + tax to buy it outright... so around $800 depending on where you live.

Is it realistic to assume you'd make $1,000 - $1,200 on it? Seems a bit high to me...

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I'm wondering how much you could realistically make.

Let's assume the iPhone 6+ Gold 16gb will be in most demand. (Yes, 16gb is typically in most demand to the general population).

You spend $749 + tax to buy it outright... so around $800 depending on where you live.

Is it realistic to assume you'd make $1,000 - $1,200 on it? Seems a bit high to me...

I sold the 64GB Gold 5S for $2500 last year. True Story

MalR

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014

It goes against the social contract. It's a douce move. Therefore, buying a high demand, low supply product for profit, makes you a douche.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I love how people criticizing the idea of flipping an iPhone are doing so for their own selfish agendas of getting their own iPhone 6 asap. Once they have theirs they won't have to pretend to give a crap about other people once again.

Someone actually said "It comes down to whether you are a decent person or not" hahaha. The moral compass is officially broken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.