Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
USA
Would anyone recommend the iPhone for a college student? I've seen other students with them, but I was wondering if they are necessary or if they are just a luxury? Would having the internet access be helpful or just a luxury?

Thanks. I was just wondering. I have a 2G iPod Touch and right now have an enV Touch on Verizon. I hate the touch screen on my phone; it doesn't compare AT ALL to the iPod/iPhone's screen. So I was thinking I might consider investing in an iPhone if I got some feedback on if the iPhone is helpful to college students or if it is just a non-necessity luxury for rich kids who can afford it?

THank you.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
To me it's a luxury, I mean the games can get distracting. Then again, way too many children have iPhones at my school (I was the first)

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
It's a luxury not a necessity.

At my university, most students have an iPhone or a blackberry. Last year everyone had iPhones, this year, the student body has fragmented, many with iPhones, many switched back to blackberry. Others got DROIDs. I'd say a smartphone is definitely not a necessity though it is nice.

A laptop is a "necessity" if anything, doesn't appear that smartphones replaced them as I see most smartphone users on campus have both. I had neither throughout my college experience, about to graduate without having either, and about to get a smartphone when I finish.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
Obviously not a necessity, professors don't require them for a class and you can't do homework on them (for the most part), but they do come in handy.

If anything you should get one just because you hate your current phone and obviously like the iphone a lot.

ryhno45

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
I am in my 3rd year in university and I would say that having an Iphone is great! It does however depend on your usage and responsibility.

3 main apps that I use for school are dictionary, ifile, and the mail app. An inexpensive netbook is more than sufficient to complete the same tasks.

I find the ultra portability to be a great benefit, plus since it is also a phone, you will not forget it when you are in a rush!

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Yes it is a luxury. It can definitely replace your calculator. Notes. You can do so much with the iPhone. looking up info quickly without having to pull out you're laptop etc etc.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
It's a great device when you're not at home or in class with your laptop. It's not a neccesity, but it is very useful. News, weather, emails, ebay... lol.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Hardly anything is a necessity in college when it comes to tech. That's why they have computer labs and the like. You would be surprised to see how many students still use paper planners, rent laptops for classes, and still write in spiral notebooks.

Having said that, I do think a laptop is REALLY good to have at college and a smartphone is also a good idea to have; or at least something that let's you read and respond to emails on the go.

steemax

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
SoCal
I actually find my iPhone quite helpful... call me stupid but ive blanked out before and forgot which classroom I was in, was able to pull up my college website real fast and double check... or check when an essay or a worksheet is due on the go (since we use blackboard)

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Just from a money saving perspective. I think a touch might make more sense. You generally have ubiquitous wifi so a data connection shouldn't be a problem.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
So I was thinking I might consider investing in an iPhone if I got some feedback on if the iPhone is helpful to college students or if it is just a non-necessity luxury for rich kids who can afford it?

Except for certain professions (medical doctors, e.g.) NOBODY needs to be available at any time, meaning that mobile phones in general are a luxury, not a necessity. I would even call mobile phones a curse of our time.

Also, nobody needs to be connected to the Internet at any time; the quality of the average content on the Internet has become as bad as TV. Nobody misses a lot by staying offline.

And nobody needs to have a mobile gaming platform with him all the time. Your real life takes place in the reality of here and now, not in a virtual dream world.

And Walkmen only promote sociopathic behaviour and isolation.

Since the iPhone tries to be all of those rather unnecessary things at the same time in an expensive, shiny box, it definitely falls into the unnecessary luxury category for people who at least pretend to be rich and hip.

Was that assessment destructive enough? :cool:

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Sell ur iPod, buy a 3g, switch to tmobile and don't get a data plan. You can have an Iphone on on a student budget. If your university is like most you can get on their network just about anywhere on campus with wifi

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
and explain...

I don't usually bring my laptop to class, so having a smartphone on me, similar to a business person, is essential. I'm constantly adding appointments, texting friends on where to meet up for lunch/group meetings, and looking up information on the web in class if I need to. I have my syllabi on dropbox (as well as all my school folders) so I always know what's due and can look things up for any class on a moment's notice. If I need to email a professor, I can do so instantly and don't have to wait to get home and increase my chances of forgetting to do that. A smartphone, and the iPhone in particular, is essential for me at least. I have a Nexus One now, but I'm going back to the iPhone once the new one comes out this summer.

RandallMorgan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Waco, TX
I'm a grad student. I definitely think it's a luxury but I'm not sure how I would get by without. I use a lot of educational and productivity apps. Of course Facebook and Twitter as well. I definitely think its very helpful.

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2007
Canada
It's definitely a luxury... but it's nice to have to you can afford and if it's not something that'll distract you in any way. However, if you have an iPod touch, I'd recommend you save your money and use it instead of an actual iPhone. As mentioned, mostly everywhere on campus you'll have access to a WiFi network, so you could browse and everything on your iPod. Unless you can get a very good plan, I would try and tough it out with just your iPod touch.

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
I use mine all the time for checking school email,looking stuff up in class without having to get my laptop out. I love the wolfram alpha app, it's the ultimate calculator app. I don't let the games distract me just like I don't play on the desktop during class but when you're waiting for something the games are great. You should keep a dumbphone and get an iPad. I'm considering carrying a tablet to school instead of a smartphone.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
iPad definitely seems a lot more useful than iPhone for a college student.

I remember buying an old Palm with a fold-up keyboard as note taker, which worked GREAT! No distraction with internet and full keyboard.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
iPhone is an absolute necessity for me. I can't tell you how many times I need to look stuff up when I'm out and about. This is 2010. I'm not going to call someone who's at a computer and ask them to look it up, that's just ridiculous and lame.

I will never have a peasant phone ever again. I'll whore myself out if that's what I have to do to pay for it. I don't even care. I'll sell a kidney if that's what it takes.

I absolutely have to have an iPhone in order to get through my day without being miserable and having Internet withdrawal. I would not be able to concentrate at school or work, all I would be thinking about is "my god the user interface on this peasant phone is an absolute travesty" or "my god, why doesn't anyone like me? oh that's right - I look like a damn peasant with this Motorola RAZR and this Sandisk Clip MP3 player" or "wow, sure wish I could look something up on Wikipedia, guess I'll have to call one of my friends (which I won't have because I have a peasant phone) or wait until I get home to look it up on my Windows Vista PC."

Yeah, this is my feeble attempt to put in to words exactly how necessary it is that I have an iPhone with me at all times. Over and out.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
The General, I think there might be other underlying causes to your absolute need for a smart phone. Perhaps you should consider letting go some of the needs for readily available information, which seems to be driving you toward the far end.

I still think that iPhone is "nice to have", but far from necessary. Since iPhone doesn't really provide any direct benefit to academic success, nor is it a irreplaceable device without alternatives. Having been a teenager and a college student, I think an iPhone will be as much of distraction as the hot girls sitting around you.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Since iPhone doesn't really provide any direct benefit to academic success...

As a college student myself, I completely disagree. A smartphone (not necessarily an iPhone) is indispensable for a college student who wants to stay organized and have a ton of information with them at all times.

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2007
Canada
As a college student myself, I completely disagree. A smartphone (not necessarily an iPhone) is indispensable for a college student who wants to stay organized and have a ton of information with them at all times.

Well, I, along with many other students, could disagree with you about that. YOU have the luxury of having a smart phone to "stay organized", and that's good for you. But you can easily get through college without a smart phone... saying it's indispensable is silly. I've had no trouble organizing myself the four years I've been in college. Now, if we were to talk about a desktop/notebook, that's a different story. But even then, there's always computers labs and such. But as for smart phone goes, it is definitely NOT an absolute need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.