iPhone for Sprint, how about Virgin Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MusicEnthusiast, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I know this might hardly even be a question today and for a few months. But I'm a Virgin Mobile user (no contract!) and Sprint, the network they rely on, officially got the iPhone. Now, as a prepaid carrier, I assume they wouldn't release the iPhone 4s off contract. I would expect a 3Gs, but maybe even 4.

Canada currently offers up to the iPhone 4 on their VM provider, so it seems possible to say VM US could get it too. Any thoughts?

2. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

I honestly doubt that they will make a prepaid Iphone...
    I mean you have to have a data plan and you have to pay monthly for that. which defeats the purpose of a prepaid phone... So in all honesty I don't think that they will make a prepaid version of it ever.

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

T-Mobile does not offer any iPhone yet they have over one million iPhone users. Just because it's not officially allowed doesn't mean the company will stop you. Business is business.

4. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

But my prepaid plan has unlimited data... The beyond talk plans on VM would satisfy an iPhone's full functionality.

5. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I didn't even know Virgin Mobile was still around lol

6. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

That's true. But They can't use 3g I believe.

I honestly did not know that.
    So what are you trying to do buy a Iphone out of contract and put your sim card in it?
    Sprint still uses sims right?

7. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

LOL, good luck on that one. If T-Mobile isnt getting it, virgin mobile sure wont either.

8. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Nope, they're CDMA, like Verizon. I would have to wait until VM releases their own iPhone.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Virgin Mobile gets the iPhone in Canada because they run under and are owned by Bell Mobility, a GSM provider. All of Virgin Mobile's smartphones are GSM based.

Normally the only way you can do an iPhone prepaid is if you purchase it outright. I can't see why they wouldn't let you, I'm sure it will be be available outright sooner rather than later.

10. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

Then I doubt it will happen.
    The Iphone is a high end device I don't really know of any high end phones that are prepaid. Or on VM for that matter. I have nothing Against VM I just don't see them being the next to get the iphone like another member stated earlier if T-Mobile didn't get it I doubt VM will.
    If you want a Iphone that bad then you might have to get a contract with one of the companies that have them AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint.

11. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Good luck with that. After that, who's next...Cricket wireless? You've got to pay to play.

12. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

If anyone should get it, its metroPCS as they are #5 in the US.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Kinda funny how VM-USA is lower-end when compared to VM-Can who carry every smartphone Bell carries (iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC Sensation).

GhettoPCS*

14. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Considering the 3GS and 4 are free and $99 respectively on contract, I can't see how these phones could have an increased price off-contract. Like $200-$300?

15. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

The reduced price is only because you are agreeing to a two year contract. Which you pay a monthly fee's. So when you buy a phone out of contract of course you are going to be charged more.
    It is like with any phone. IE When I bought my Atrix it was $199 with a 2 year contract, but if I bought it out of contract it would be about $600 I think. It's the same with every phone not just the Iphones. Hell I have seen the original Iphone go for about $100 sometimes still; from third party sellers. I wouldn't pay $100 for the first Iphone now. (although it was my favorite Iphone I bought.)
    But people will pay outrageous prices to get something that they want, so they don't have to wait the two years for the upgrade price.

16. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

But then again, my plan for unlimited data (3G), messaging, and 300 minutes comes out to $25/month. I currently use the LG Optimus V which is retailed at $150. So people do go prepaid to save money in the long run rather than purchase expensive phones at unsubsidized prices. Ordinary plans like Verizon and AT&T charge $20/month on just data alone, and that is capped.

17. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

That might be true but that is not what you were asking. You were asking why are the phones more expensive out of contract. I was just explaining that. I have never had a prepaid phone. My fist two phones were some random flip phones from Cingular (yes Cingular).... then I started my smart phone collection with the first Iphone.
    I have nothing against the LG optimus, but it isn't really a high end device. You don't get some features that are in most android high end devices. I am not sure if VM actually has any High end android phones, or if they really have any high end phones at all. I don't know much about VM but maybe it is cheaper because you don't get as much as you would with, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint hell even T-mobile. But like I said I don't know much about them or prepaid phones.

But at the end of the day, it is what it is. There is nothing you can do about the Iphone right now unless you switch to a contract phone. Which I am assuming that is not what you want to do.

18. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

It's been a long day but,

if the thread starter buys an out of contract/unsubsidized iPhone 4 or 4s from Sprint can it be used on Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, *insert prepaid company here*?

I would be interested in this as well as I have been out of contract since 2005 and have no qualms in leaving AT&T prices behind.

19. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

iPhone 4 gb is a world phone as well......I bet we see it on virgin mobile eventually.

20. bcr5460 macrumors newbie

There is an high end phone for Virgin Mobile. Go to youtube and type in "Motorola Triumph" It's faster than the iPhone 4 is. Also, sprint bought virgin mobile so that's the service that virgin mobile is on. So people who use virgin mobile have the same service as sprint in the same available areas. Virgin mobile in Austrailia also has the iPhone 4s.

I think if you unlock/ by without an contract you can take the iPhone 4s with sprint and use it with virgin mobile because they are both coma. but i think also virgin mobile will eventually get an iPhone 4s by summer of 2012.