iPhone for Work Emails

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Terry W, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Terry W macrumors member

Apr 20, 2007
    Does anyone have any experience using their iPhone for their work email (with Exchange)? I just joined a small company and may be able to use the iPhone for emails instead of having them buy me a new Blackberry.

Most curious about the following:

1) Impact on battery life - mine is already pretty bad with just a Gmail and Mobile Me accounts) and don't need it to get any worse;
    2) Reliability - do emails actually come in as reliably as a Blackberry?;
    3) Calendar - can you invite attendees in the company's address book?

Thanks in advance!
  2. hsk macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Lots of folks on here use the iPhone with Exchange. I'll give you my experience using hosted Exchange:

1 - Impact could be worse. I have not used MobileMe and I manually pull my GMail. But Exchange does push and therefore can impact the battery. YMMV.

2 - Yes, they hit the phone just about as fast as they do my desktop. Probably similar to RIM - maybe a little slower depending on your Exchange routing.

3 - Yes.
  3. Terry W thread starter macrumors member

Apr 20, 2007

Thanks very much! I forgot to add, if anyone wants to link to another forum on this please feel free rather than taking the time (as hsk did) to type out a reply. I tried searching on the forums and just wasn't getting the right kind of hits.
  4. osxnewbe macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2006
    1. If you have the "push" featured enabled, it will reduce the battery life. During the work day, I will have the push on if I am away from my desk but needing to keep up with e-mails. I never have it turned on after hours unless there is a work emergency...

2. Yes. Mine is reliable probably 90% of the time but I think its more issues with the Exchange server and not the iPhone. It syncs up pretty quickly with my work email account. Within 20 seconds of putting a new event receiving a new e-mail, it will show up on the iphone (if push is enabled).

3. Yes. If you have a global address list on the server you can search it to invite attendees.

Overall this works much better than my method before OS 3.0. Then I had to push my e-mails to a gmail account to read them on my phone...
  5. itransition macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Our IT-department provides the customization of Outlook mail with iphone - it's really nice, so I hope you could do so ;)
  6. manx macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2009

I just posted this: