iPhone FORCING wifi "on"?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by boredandlonely, Apr 13, 2012.

1. boredandlonely, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

boredandlonely macrumors member

(updated to clarify)
    Apparently I poorly chose a thread title. (see ridiculing replies below)

I had a new issue with my iPhone 4 last week.
    I'm #ATTfail iP4, 5.0.1 JB untethered, "Unlimited" Data Plan (ha ha)

As I got near an apparent #ATTfail wifi hotspot, my phone dropped the 3G connection and jumped to wifi. I dislike this, but it's not new.

So I hit the Wifi toggle in SBSettings to turn Wifi off and go back to 3g. A few minutes later I noticed Wifi seemed to be on again. So I went back to SBSettings and hit the Wifi toggle to OFF, AGAIN, thinking I must have missed it the first time. Then I notice Wifi has AGAIN turned itself back on and connected to the #ATTfail hotspot. I got PISSED. I went into Settings and turned off Wifi AGAIN, via the standard ios settings, and watched, before I even left the submenu, as it turned itself back on and reconnected AGAIN within seconds.

W.
    T.
    F?

I went back in, went into the wifi settings for the #ATTfail hotspot, and told it to "forget this network" (or whatever that option was). Then I watched it turn itself back on, and reconnect AGAIN. I went in and toggled on the "prompt me to join networks" (forgive my paraphrasing), forgot the network, turned off wifi, and it turned itself on, didn't ask me, and reconnected to the forgotten network AGAIN.

My friend suggested that it was only happening because there was no 3g available, but there was, and we were right next to a busy freeway, shopping center, residential area, and I'm sure there was an #ATTfail store in the mall somewhere.

I don't often find myself near #ATTfail wifi hotspots, so maybe some of this is normal... But can it really turn on my wifi against my will??? It's not even a suggestion? It just does it without permission, even AFTER I specifically forgot that network connection and turned it off?

Thanks

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This has nothing to do with AT&T. Sounds like UserFail to me.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can't forget AT&T WiFi access points. They are in the carrier bundle to always be connected to. I've noticed over the past few Sys my SB Settings WiFi toggle doesn't work anymore on my iOS 5.0.0 4S. I now have to go to the Setting app to turn it on and off. Maybe all it was doing was cycling the WiFi off and on again.

4. boredandlonely thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for contributing absolutely nothing to this thread. You are a credit to the forum.

----------

That's why I tried turning it off (repeatedly) through IOS itself after the SBSettings toggle failed. It still kept turning back on.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I told you it has nothing to do with AT&T. You are asserting it's AT&T. You might want to change your title to "Helppppp Meeee, I don't know how to turn off wifi."

I already know I'm a credit to the forum, but thanks.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

User/jailbreak fail more like it.

AT&T can't force you onto WiFi, let alone one of their hotspots.

And in case you were confused as to where you're posting this, this isn't Twitter... the hash tags are stupid. :rolleyes:

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iPhone carriers are not able to toggle the power states of an iPhone's radios. I believe -aggie-'s conclusion is the correct one.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

If WiFi was off, how would they even know you were within range of an AT&T Hotspot? They can't geo-locate you with enough precision to do that, even if they wanted to.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. boredandlonely thread starter macrumors member

That's why I am confused.
    -Wifi turned off via SBSettings toggle multiple times.
    -Wifi turned off via built in settings multiple times.
    -Phone restarted twice, same results afterwards with both methods.

So it's not #ATTfail, regardless of who/where I am connecting then, I'm still questioning how wifi can keep turning itself back on.

11. Intell, Apr 13, 2012
  12. -aggie-, Apr 13, 2012

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The OP is jailbroke. If he wasn't jailbroke, this wouldn't be possible (see sandbox). However, since he is, it is obviously a jailbreak app that is turning it back on (or it's total user fail).

Hint: MyProfiles

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

Yeah, I don't know. A cool as jailbreaking is, it makes troubleshooting crap like what you're experiencing that much harder.

14. boredandlonely thread starter macrumors member

If it is a JB app, that narrows it down pretty quick. I have a suspect in mind, but I can't test until I'm near an #ATTfail hotspot again so the problem will recur.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Silly TS, hashtags are for Twitter.

#ItDosntWorkHere ;)

16. boredandlonely thread starter macrumors member

It's the same concept as an URL on paper. You can't click a sheet of paper. You can still look up the URL.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

it's not the same because hashtags are website specific (same hashtag could take you to different websites use of the tag: eg. #tips) while an URL on a paper will always direct you to that specific page on the web. One is specific to a site while the other is a universal application. The only way a hashtag could be the same is if you hyperlink it (using a URL ;) )

18. Maverik3 macrumors 6502

Hahahahahahahah that just made my day, thank you intell hahahah:D