iPhone Formatted Pages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SAG3194, Jul 21, 2009.

1. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

There once was a time when you could take an iPhone website and save it to your home screen (still possible) and open it not in safari but as an app like page.

Obviously this isn't possible anymore... anyone know why?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It's called a "Web Clip" Just click on the plus sign in Safari, and click "Add to Home Screen".

3. SAG3194 thread starter macrumors 6502

SAG3194

La duh! I wanted to know why it opens in safari and not in its own window. it used to do that

4. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

It's a website and all websites on the iPhone open with the Safari browswer. Where else would it open? :p

5. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

It always opened in a Safari. It might appear different if you do not have multiple tabs opened. So you are probably clicking on that and it is opening in a new tab

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Nope. It works the same now as it always has.

7. SAG3194 thread starter macrumors 6502

SAG3194

No.. not always did it always open with Safari.

It opened with it's own page.

I will try to find an article link.

8. danielbrowning macrumors member

I assume by "its own page" you mean a standalone app, not a new tab in Safari?

If that's what you mean, I'm afraid you're mistaken. I remember when they added the ability to add a web app to your springboard, and I distinctly remember that they all opened in Safari, with the address and search bars at the top, back button etc. at the bottom.

A lot of web apps use javascript to hide the address bar (they just scroll down a single pixel). Could this be why you think they are their own app?

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

He's actually not mistaken. There is meta data a developer can put into a site to make it load in it's own app. Add this page as a web app it'll load its own "standalone" app.

10. danielbrowning macrumors member

Damn, I had no idea that was possible, despite all the web app stuff I was playing with when it first came out! I'm surpised a lot more web apps don't use this... I'll have to make a copy of those meta tags and play with it, thanks :)

Technically, I suppose it'll still be opening in Safari... But for all intents and purposes, my apologies, I was wrong!

Edit: Ah, available in iPhone OS 2.1 or later... That's why I didn't hear about it when I was playing with web apps...

So to answer the OP's question: It is still available (although has only been available since 2.1 (a little while after the 3G was released)), but it requires the web app to specify it; you can't decide for yourself that a particular web app should do it.