Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElPinko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Hi all, I have a very specific set of questions and would love some answers...

I currently own neither a mac or an iphone, on Monday I will be getting a 3gs, and setting it up with my Windows XP laptop. In September (after Snow Leopard) I will be buying an iMac.

Could someone please tell me:

1, if i format the iPhone on the windows XP laptop, will the iMac read it when it arrives

2, If I buy apps via iTunes and sync them to my iPhone will the apps be lost when I get the iMac

3, When I migrate and authorise itunes on the iMac how do I transfer the apps I have bought so not to lose them (i read you can only download something from itunes once)

4, are there any major pitfalls I need to know about when migrating over from an XP setup to Leopard and also when bringing an iPhone into the equation?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
1, if i format the iPhone on the windows XP laptop, will the iMac read it when it arrives

Yes, of course. The iPhone has it's on OS. Both Windows and MAC can read it with no problem.

2, If I buy apps via iTunes and sync them to my iPhone will the apps be lost when I get the iMac

No. Can't think of the exact words right now, but you'll authorize the new computer to have your apps.

3, When I migrate and authorise itunes on the iMac how do I transfer the apps I have bought so not to lose them (i read you can only download something from itunes once)

To transfer iTunes purchases to your new computer http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848

To transfer non-iTunes purchases to your new computer:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329

4, are there any major pitfalls I need to know about when migrating over from an XP setup to Leopard and also when bringing an iPhone into the equation?

I don't think there are any. It's a fairly smooth process. Just transfer all your stuff like music, videos or pics to the new Mac and you're good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.