iPhone found, need help to return to owner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needhelp,iphone, Aug 6, 2010.

1. needhelp,iphone macrumors newbie

Ok, so i found an iPhone laying on the ground, no one was around so i figured it didn't work, i picked it up and saw that the screen was completely cracked, i slipped it in my pocket thinking of either keeping the "Non-working" iPhone, or just throwing it away. Well, i was in the car and felt it vibrate, i looked at it and apparently it had missed calls and unread text messages. When i got home i tried to go into the iPhone to get a number to call to notify the owner that i had found the phone, but it had a set passcode and i'm unable to get into it. So, is there anyway to get past or around the code without erasing or damaging the iPhone further?

~This was not stolen, i found it, and now want to return it to it's owner :apple:

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Press and hold the home button. It will activate the voice command and just say: Call Home, Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Honey, Boyfriend, Girlfriend and w/e else you can think of. What you're doing is pretty kind, I know few people would return an iPhone they found.

3. theone09 macrumors regular

just return to one of the local apple store closed by. i think they can find the owner by looking at the serial number on the phone

4. needhelp,iphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the help, i'll try it out and see if it works.
    And i figured if i lost mine, i'd want it back as well.

5. needhelp,iphone thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried that, but it doesn't call, it still asks for the passcode

6. DetTigers macrumors regular

No need to worry about bypassing the passcode, just take it to any AT&T or Apple store and they will contact the owner.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Really? I have a passcode on mine and did voice command and it worked fine using it from the lock screen.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You could restore the iPhone. That will take the passcode off it. There will be no no numbers, but the owner might call or text and you can build up from there. That is an immediate solution at least

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Go to where you set the auto-lock and there is a setting to turn voice control off.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If the owner calls, he will be able to answer it even with the passcode on it.

Ah. Ok.

11. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I am glad to hear that you are going to return it, it shows that you are an honest person. Hopefully someone would do the same for you.

12. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    It could depend on the type of iPhone. If its a 3G, then no go on voice command.

13. thizzinG macrumors member

Ahh thanks for finding my iPhone.. I will PM you my address so you can ship it to me. :rolleyes:

But in all honesty - that's nice of you to try and find the owner. Good luck.

14. needhelp,iphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thank you all for the suggestions and help, i think i'll wait a bit on it, and see if anyone calls, if not i'll take it to either ATT or Apple,
    And just trying to make someone's life better :D

15. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

Props to you for being an moral upstanding citizen. They're far and few between these days.