iPhone free apps - question regarding their price change

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by parthvader, Jun 18, 2009.

1. parthvader macrumors newbie

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm new to iTunes, the Apple store, and the way iPhone apps work in general.

If I downloaded a free iPhone app already, but then have to redownload it, will I get charged if the price went up?

For example, there was a free iPhone game called Blockade like 12 hours ago. Now it is going for $1.99. I downloaded (or purchased, I guess) the game when it was free. I want to redownload it, but it's not $1.99 and I'm being asked to ok the purchase for $1.99.

If I click buy, will it just go ahead and let me download the game for free, or will I be charged the new $1.99 price?

The game version is the same, it's not a new update or anything. Also, I'm talking about downloading the app to my computer, not to my iPhone.

Thanks, and sorry again if this is the wrong forum for this topic.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

You shouldn't have to but it should tell you either way.

3. alexp2ad macrumors member

Once you've bought it you own it for the life of the app, if you click "Buy" it will redownload it for free, regardless of any price changes.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

You won't be charged. Click buy, and it'll look like it's going to charge you, but at the last minute it'll give a popup that says you already "paid" for it.

That's as long as it's the same account, of course.

5. parthvader thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, and everyone else for the responses.

Just like you said, I hit Buy, and it gave me the prompt where it says I've already purchased the application, and I can redownload it for free.

Sweet!