iPhone free space?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Almeuit, May 25, 2011.

1. Almeuit macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4 (16GB) model running iOS 4.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n. I download things like family guy from mega upload to my phone with safari downloader and then use ifile to watch ... when im done i delete. I noticed today i deleted a good hunk of my Family guy and don't see much improvement on my space? It did free up a little but seemed to take up more downloading it then when i delete it. (Example: I was at 7 GB before ... now after watching / deleting i am at 5.4).

Any way to get this free space back? I am scared to keep downloading...

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you deleted your ifile trash?

3. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

In the settings on iFile i have "Use trash" as no so i do not see a trash folder within the iFile folder. :(

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

var/mobile/Library/ifile/trash

5. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah when i go there no trash folder exists. I think because i have the "use trash" option in iFile set to "no".

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

and a respring didnt clear up that space?

7. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly no.

I just did a test .... I had 5.2 GB free ... i went and downloaded tron HD (Part 1) which was 950MB... so i dropped to 4.2 GB free ... I then deleted the file from iFile and i am still at 4.2GB. I rebooted the phone and still stuck at 4.2 GB ... this is really odd o_O

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

is it possible you have to plug into itunes to recaclulated free space

9. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

10. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

And i assume the apps is so big due to the jailbreak/cydia?

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

does the safari download manager have a trash or something to clear?

12. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

Not that i can find on the web or on my phone.

Has no one else ever had this issue? Maybe i need to unjailbreak / restore / re-jailbreak? o_O... Ive never seen somethin like this b 4

13. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

it may have put them in a different directory. this happened to me. I would downlaod with safari download manager and then click the download and "open with ifile" and it would make a copy in the downloads for safari download manager section and the normal download section!
    var/mobile/media/downloads
    and
    var/mobile/documents

checik and report back?

14. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded the Tron to the var/mobile/media/downloads and then deleted it from there. I checked var/mobile/documents and do not see anything there :(

15. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

crap well thats all i got.
    maybe try downloading ifunbox and searching for files over 200mb?

16. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the ifunbox idea! ... I am running another test now to see if what i found is exactly what i think. Ill post my findings/fixes here shortly.

17. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

I was actually unable to post my findings because i downloaded another movie .. which dropped my space .. then deleted it and it went back up.

I am not sure if this was a bug or what ... but i used iFunBox to search for anything related to the word "Family" since i did download the whole season. I found a bunch of episodes cached in an application i never really used (Movies by Flixster app) and i deleted that app using the iFunBox. It free'd up my space! I am at 7.7 GB now...

So i guess it was a bug because after downloading the other movie and deleting it .. it took me down to 6.3 GB ... i deleted it and went back to 7.7 GB ... So i guess i am good now...

But for future people ... USE iFunBox to search your entire iPhone for any cache (let it search the whole phone ... can take a little while) and you might just come across a buncha cached stuff that you had no idea it was keeping...

Thanks again Benj for the iFunBox idea and also to you iisfo_riphone for attempting to help! :)

18. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Any time dude. Glad you got it working and happy jb-ing!

19. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

I wanted to make a correction to my solved post. It was actually vlc that was storing a cache not flixster. My guess is because when you load a movie from ifile and select vlc media player it had to load it into the player which depending on how big the file was took a little time.. It had to cache it. I sense got rid of VLC and now just use apple built in QuickTime (which loads quickly.. No cache) and it plays instant..and I am able to delete without with gaining my space back :D.

Sorry for the grammar.. On my iPhone and to lazy to punctuate :x

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

where is the vlc cache found?

21. Almeuit thread starter macrumors regular

When I used ifunbox it found it within the app. In ifunbox you can search the whole iPhone so I did a search for "family" (since I was looking for family guy) and it found it under the "user Applications" in the VLC application section and it had it all cached there. Soon as I deleted it i got the free space back. Now i only use the built in player and once I delete the file I get my space back after ~5 mins of deletion.

22. heisenberg123, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

cool, 2 more questions does the built in player play all files types from iFile once downloaded? and it seems all my safari downloads are in 2 locations is this normal?

var/mobile/Media/Downloads

and

var/mobile/Documents

and im not saying its saves in either or, both locations as a copy of every download