iPhone freezes when closing apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pureflamez, Jul 2, 2010.

1. pureflamez macrumors newbie

Has anyone noticed that when you have a ton of apps running, and you continuously tap the "x" to close out of them, the iPhone freezes even though the icons keep wiggling. It takes the phone about 2 minutes to unfreeze, or I have to restart it. This doesn't only happen if you have a ton of apps running, sometimes it happens randomly when closing out of just one app. It happened on my 3GS and happens on my iPhone 4. Software bug? Anyone else having this issue?

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Never happens for me. I had 20 apps open today and closed all of them in about 10 seconds. No problems at all.

3. tedley macrumors newbie

Me too

Yep, I've seen it too. Exactly as the OP describes. I have a 3gs and upgraded the day after iOS4 was available. It's happened 2-3 times.

4. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Question: Do you "kill" apps in the fast switcher because you feel you MUST, or because you feel you should? I ask because I've only had a couple of times that my iP4 has gotten weird for a few seconds, otherwise handling its own memory concerns pretty transparently, from my perspective.

For a long time I've used an app called "System Activity Monitor" to monitor memory and such (especially needed on my old 3G), and usually my iPhone4 keeps between 40-100MB free, occasionally dropping down to 8-12MB with heavy use (lots of pages open in Safari), and occasionally higher than 150MB.

I'm just curious what your seeing.

But as per your question, yes freezing for a couple of minutes after killing apps in the task switcher doesn't sound like a "feature", more like a bug.

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I double click the home button then hold down one of the icons in the bottom dock until it wiggles. Then the red minus minus sign appears in the upper left corner of the apps, I kill them one by one. They close instantly and I have never had trouble closing 20 or 30 apps in a few seconds. I do this because (I think) it frees up memory on the device and may save battery life if processes are currently open and running, but I don't know this for sure. Hope this answers your question.

6. pureflamez thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm with you there. I do the same exact thing you do. But at random times sometimes my phone completely freezes even though the apps are still wiggling. Takes a bit for it to unfreeze unless I restart it. Very weird.

7. pureflamez thread starter macrumors newbie

I googled the issue, seems like I'm not the only one suffering from this.

8. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Sound like one more bug for them to work out then.

It would be cool if there was some accurate, repeatable way to test if "killing" apps in the task switcher thingy really does save battery life/ run better.

Maybe you can try letting the phone "have its head" for a day or two and see if yall can tell any difference in performance or battery life. I know that is somewhat subjective and certainly leaves lots of room for variables, but you may find that things run themselves pretty well. (or not)

Sean

9. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

You're not alone.

This happens to me almost everytime if I have more than 5 apps open:mad:

10. princesspale macrumors newbie

I get the freezing when I'm closing multiple apps really fast.

You can alleviate this by just closing the apps by making sure you're hitting the red x carefully. I think when I'm going too fast I hit the app instead of the red x and that might be causing sometihng?? :confused:

I have to kill all tasks if I'm not multi tasking out of some kind of mental issue :[

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apps are not open or running unless it a rare true multitasking App like Pandora or TomTom. The Apps are closed ever time you hit the Home button. A short cut to the App just stays in the Fast Switcher box.

No one is closing Apps by removing them from the Fast Switch box.

The way you can identify if you actually have an App running in multi task mode is there will be an Arrow or a Play icon in the top menu bar.

12. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I get the freezing as well. I am wondering how many other members are experiencing the same thing.

13. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

same here...

I was just about to make my own post until I did a search first :)

My phone has been doing this as well, but ONLY since the 4.0.1 update. It never did it before then and I have had my phone since launch date.

It also doesn't happen all the time. Once it froze after trying to close about 10 apps...Took about 30 seconds and then cam back. The other time I only tried to close one app and it froze and didn't come back. Had to restart the phone.

Pretty annoying bug :mad: Nothing is perfect though (iPhone 4) and I am not expecting it to be...just nice to see I'm not the only one having the issue. Misery loves company :D

14. joelnicol86 macrumors newbie

I am experiencing the exact same problem, but would like to be able to close all applications routinely for the exact same reasons.

I experienced this on my iPhone 3GS both on 4.0 and 4.0.1.

:(

15. Stein357 macrumors 6502

My 3GS does this, I find if I go slow closing all of my apps that it doesn't do it.

16. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

Yep +1

17. andremac macrumors newbie

same problem. hoping this will be fixed with a software update. i'm very angry:mad:

18. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i had this too, once 4.0.1 came out no more problem, what r you on ^

19. afshar16 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. It did it before and after I upgraded to 4.0.1 and 4.0.2. Hope it gets fixed soon.

20. andremac macrumors newbie

the question is: is this a software problem? really hope so.

21. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

iPhone 4 with 4.0.2 but it happens no matter what iOS I had on the phone from the original to 4.0.1, to 4.0.2.

I usually try to only do this once a day and I have found that shutting the phone down and turning it back on once a day helps.

22. andremac macrumors newbie

this is unacceptable, i've paid "800 perfectly working" euros!! i need my perfectly working iPhone4!

i hope this will be fixed

23. hellomoto3485 macrumors newbie

i'm using a jailbroken iPhone 4 on 4.0.1. it seems every time i start killing a bunch of apps via SBSettings' process list, my phone freezes up. i would assume it relates to this, so yeah, it definitely sounds like killing processes in quick succession leads to freezing.

24. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I had this happen to me on my iPhone 4 last night; first time I had this problem, I restarted, and it works fine. I've had my phone from day one, and running the most recent iOS

25. allaboutmusic macrumors member

I've had this problem from time to time. It was once a little inconvenient to wait a couple minutes - now I just make sure I'm in no hurry before I start nuking apps in the multi-task bar.