iPhone FREEZES when I end a call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mechanesthesia, Jun 24, 2010.

1. mechanesthesia macrumors member

When I end a call my iPhone FREEZES up and the whole screen turns black. I press the screen, the home button, nothing.
    I have to pretty much turn it off and turn it back on.

Also now with text messages, it's giving me problems too where i cant reply to texts

2. mechanesthesia thread starter macrumors member

Bump!

OK. According to a friend, iPhones are "supposed" to turn black when you hold it up next to your ear.

The problem with mine is sometimes it turns black and I don't even hold it up by my ear.
    That's not the issue though.

It turns black and after the call is ended, it stays black and it locks up like that.

then I have to touch the sleep/wake button and the home button to bring it back up.

Happens like 60% of the time?

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

This happened to me twice since yesterday...strange...

4. army91c macrumors 6502a

Sounds a bit la la but try wipeing off the skin oil after your call. See if that helps.

5. mechanesthesia thread starter macrumors member

I even have a screen protector and it still does it.

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

So is this what they are referring to as the "proximity sensor" problem?

7. mechanesthesia thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

No idea. I think that's separate because people with that problem is that it never switches to the other mode or "cheek dialing".

8. mechanesthesia thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

The tech support guy told me to restore it to factory settings is that really going to fix anything.

9. mechanesthesia thread starter macrumors member

Yay! I called someone else at apple. All I had to do was a "hard reset" which is to hold down home and on/off until the apple logo shows.

10. mechanesthesia thread starter macrumors member

Ok that was only a temporary fix. Because it starts happening again. I even did a full restore. Also my camera has no image. Apple said I had to wait 2 wks due to shortages to replace it.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

My 1st gen (well, 3 of the 4 I had) would freeze up right after a call. It's really annoying.

Every now and then, it happened with my 3G and it sometimes happens with my 3GS.

They may release a software update that'll fix it.

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

This is still part of the proximity sensor issue. My original iPhone did this. Turned out in that instance it was a leather case that don't have the cutout set quite right.

I've read that some people may actually have issues from the screen protector. Others have problems regardless. I'd say call AppleCare back and let them know the issue isn't resolved. And search this board, thre's several threads with discussions and possible remedies. Good luck!

13. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

My wife had a similar issue. We were told to set it up as a new iPhone. We were so caught up with the problem and with the so-call genius assuring us that we would be able to re-sync the importing things like notes and contacts, that we failed to consider the loss of user data for all her apps. Some of which were over a year's worth of entry.

It does seem to have "fixed" the original issue.. at least 3 days running now.