iPhone freezing up? Interesting visit to Apple Genius not a TLC/MLC issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MH01, Jan 12, 2015.

1. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Hey guys,

This might help some of you out.

Since getting my iPhone, a 128 Plus, I have over the last few months I have started experiencing bad freezes, where the phone would not respond upto 20 seconds, or apps crashing.

Not spending too much time analysing it I thought the culprit was the TLC memory used in my model ( I verified it was TLC), alot of articles on the web suggesting this, so made a booking to see an Apple genius to see if Apple had any ideas why I was getting these freezes/hangups. Also I have to point out, I am not a huge Apps user, I have about 10 apps that I use regularly.

The genius ran the diagnostics on my phone, said everything was perfect, the battery was in really good condition, so he dismissed the TLC memory as a problem, he said models have been replaced that had memory issues, but those were flagged in the diagnostics check. He than showed me how you can view event logs on an iphone, nifty, and we went through and looked into these logs, these logs are created when apps crash, warning messages etc etc, just like in software development, handy for analysis. And he told me I have a lot of low memory events, and these are most likely the causes of my device locking up, while the iPhone clears memory.

We had a good chat, and he effectively said that the 1GB of Ram in the iPhone is not enough, and certain users will run into these issues. He further analysed the logs and its looks like the culprit is my e-mails, I have both personal and company e-mails going to my iphone, alot of them!, he recommended not saving historical e-mails on the iphone itself and only keep the last couple weeks etc.

I never thought the 1GB Ram was that much of an issue, and only a problem in relation to safari refreshing, though it looks like the iPhone might in fact need a bump past 1GB.

I'm going to change my e-mail settings and see if it fixes the freezing etc, if it does, kinda disappointed Apple is still running with 1GB and its affecting people's experience.

Have to admit, was one of the better Genius appointments I have had, the guy actually knew his stuff, and was surprised that he admitted the 1GB was the issue. And was awesome that he showed be how the diagnostics software worked and the even logs.

At least my iPhone has no hardware issues, now just going to have to be smarter about how I tweak it and manage the memory.

2. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

Never ever had my 6 Plus on me freezeup, espcially not from low ram available or anything like that

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Really interesting. I am not knowledgeable enough on these issues but maybe the RAM is a limiting factor on larger storage devices.

4. MH01 thread starter macrumors G4

MH01

That is the part which is interesting, why is it the larger capacity devices that people are experiencing issues. Or are heavy users more likely to have bought a larger capacity. Apart from e-mails, I am hardly a heavy user though.....

5. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

While you enjoyed talking to the Geek, I have not had either my 6 or 6+ freeze a single time. Both have worked without flaw.

6. nox5 macrumors 6502

Because you probably don't have 128gb version

7. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

I have a 64 gb 6 Plus with the "bad memory" and here too no issues

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Both 6 and 6+ are BOTH 128GB versions:rolleyes:

No issue here.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I suppose it's comforting to know that your phone isn't broken, merely cripped by insufficient RAM and a buggy o/s.☺️

10. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Can you share with us how to get into the event logs so that others can check their problem. Thanks

11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

My phone is actually working better lately than it was months ago. Not sure why. I'm not using it any differently than before. I can have 15 or more apps hanging in the background with no app crashing. The issues I still have once in awhile are the lagginess when switching orientation and this mostly happens messaging. I have the 64GB with MLC.

While this Plus has been my overall favorite iPhone hardware wise, it along with the iOS 8 software has been the buggiest. The "it just works" is a fading memory with Apple #.

12. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Privacy>Diagnostics&Usage>Diagnostics&Usage Data

13. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

These genius's are known to talk smack out of their ass's, just like any other carrier retail wireless reps. They are never wrong, even if they are.

You can't be that naive to believe their defending stories.

14. MH01 thread starter macrumors G4

MH01

Not defending. Just explaining my experience, I will make a few tweaks and if my phone is still hanging, I'm going right back.

Fact is 1gb ram is low, so I am not going to say he was full of BS, if anything I'm impressed he admited instead of towing the company line saying 1GB is enough these days.

At the end of all this , the hardware might be fine and the turd that is iOS 8 is proving how buggy it is.

15. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

Interesting. My 128 6+ has Safari crash several times a day. Screen freezes a few seconds then tab reloads with message page had problem so was reloaded. Sometimes with only 2 tabs open. I'll check my email settings and see what happens. Thanks for sharing the story!