Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
does anyone know I'd there are any decent streaming radio stations that are compatible with the iPhone?

I've tries yahoo and soma and pretty much any others I could find with no luck. I figure soon enough there will be plenty that work but I'd like to find some now

Any ideas?

Jody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Anyone having any luck finding compatible streaming stations?

-Jody

Jody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Anybody find anything yet by any chance?

I KNOW the capability is there, I just don't know where to find anyone that is streaming in an iphone capable way.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
You can stream quicktime movies and audio files. I listen to podcasts direct from websites.

alabare

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
I subscribe to Sirius. They have an online version of their streams. I can get there via the iphone, but I can't engage the media player. I think if someone knew what they were looking at in the code, it could be figured out.

MaxPowers

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
You can stream quicktime movies and audio files. I listen to podcasts direct from websites.

Well some video files are supported, and streaming is possible but many web sites will have to do some video converting before U can play them. Would keep trying to use like Iphone Video or something in the SE’s, but only been out less than a week and the videos only like 2 days of outside webmasters, so U have to give us a break it will just take a bit is all

wooo

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2006
asp or wma radio streams on iphone

ooTunes lets you listen to almost any streaming radio on your iphone... all the ones in the "radio" section of itunes, streams you add (including asp and wma streams, as well as last.fm and pandora). Just fyi.
It's $20.

Edit: woops, this is an old thread... but I guess still might be useful?

wooo

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2006
$20 for a streaming app? That's one of the most expensive apps on iTunes. Eek. C'mon there have to be other alternatives.

Well, if you're going to complain about the price then I may as well tell you how hard it is to setup too (for some people)! (it's not in the appstore either), it's a server that runs on your home computer and streams your music, movies, pictures (soon), etc. to your iPhone or any internet enabled computer. It's kinda like orb (except it runs on mac, linux, and windows, doesn't do live video and is made by one guy instead of lots... oh, and it's $20! ;)

It has some advantages though, namely, since you can listen in Safari, you can put it in the background and go check your email, or play a game, while it plays, without jailbreaking, and it'll play just about any format stream, real audio, windows media, etc. So, yeah, that's the deal. If I was independently wealthy or didn't have a family to take care of, I'd probably do it for free... I mostly wrote it for myself.

mknawabi

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
just start favoriting some streaming internet channels. they will play in safari's integrated QT player.

for example, try going to npr.org and tuning in using the link at the top. works perfectly for me!

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Wunder Radio, in the app store works well. I believe it's $6.99.

Because Clear Channel are a bunch of nazis though, if you want to hear one of their stations, they won't allow them on Wunder Radio. You have to use their app, iheart radio instead, but at least that one is free.

bjobes

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
I able to stream perfectly using FStream. WiFi, 3G and Edge all work fine. And it's FREE!!

just start favoriting some streaming internet channels. they will play in safari's integrated QT player.

for example, try going to npr.org and tuning in using the link at the top. works perfectly for me!
Thanks. I tried the site and I was not able to find any link to radio stations unlike via the normal web page.

After I accessed a "local" news station, a QT app played saying that not always news can be accessed, but by signing up....blah, blah, blah. From then, my bookmarks and history no longer functioned which required me to reset the iPhone. I had to switch to original view and I was able to see radio stations. However, most are public radio and you h ave to search by state and city but there is no link on playing for most.

Also, my favorite streaming web pages use flash, windows media or real player. iPhone doesnt support flash or the other two and likely won't until Generation 3 comes out.

wooo

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2006
Thanks. I tried the site and I was not able to find any link to radio stations unlike via the normal web page.

After I accessed a "local" news station, a QT app played saying that not always news can be accessed, but by signing up....blah, blah, blah. From then, my bookmarks and history no longer functioned which required me to reset the iPhone. I had to switch to original view and I was able to see radio stations. However, most are public radio and you h ave to search by state and city but there is no link on playing for most.

Also, my favorite streaming web pages use flash, windows media or real player. iPhone doesnt support flash or the other two and likely won't until Generation 3 comes out.

FStream is in the app store (it doesn't require jailbreak). Also, ooTunes does the transcoding from real audio/windows media and even some flash player streams. It also can lower the bitrate so that it works on slower connections. That's the advantage of something running on a desktop computer, it can do the heavy lifting and make things compatible with the iPhone. The disadvantage is you have to have the computer on and open a port in your router (which isn't always easy).

If the stations you want aren't already in the list of iPhone compatible streams here, let me know and I can add it if it will work.

Streamer

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2008
One of the main problems is that the native iTunes/Quicktime on the iPhone doesn't behave in the same way as it does on a pc or mac so when you try and click on a streaming link, the streaming server doesn't really know what it is and rejects it (simply put).

Shoutcast have released a beta version of a linux server that detects the iphone and handles it. One station using it is Atlantic Sound Factory (http://www.asfradio.com)

Other than that, for know, it has to be third-party apps such as FStream etc.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Check with your favorite local FM radio stations, or even just google it. My favorite local radio station actually has it's own app, that not only streams audio but lets you set an alarm to stream the audio at a certain time (Think Alarm clock radio). That same developers makes apps for TONS of radio stations, so it's worth looking into.

-John

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Another vote here for WunderRadio - you can also get all the BBC channels (6 Music is awesome) - being a Brit who has recently been to the States on a road-trip with only standard stations, I know how much you need this! No commercials either. Bonus.

scelzifan

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
How come nobody has mentioned Pandora. Its free and has something for everyone. Yes it eats data but it still streams music for free and you can listen to whatever kind of music you are into. My daughter got me into it and I have been using it ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.