iPhone from China to Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by komijnekaas, Sep 25, 2011.

1. komijnekaas macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am a Chinese and bought a (real) iPhone in China. There, I had 3G with a connection to mobile internet. Yet when I went back to The Netherlands, where I currently reside for my study, I subscribed with a Dutch telephone company (T-Mobile NL) since this was much cheaper than pre-paid.

However, now I cannot connect to the internet! It says 'Could not activate cellular data network' whenever I open Safari. My Cellular Data is pre-set by this carrier, so I could not change the APN settings. I did, however, tried to set a profile from unlockit.co.nz, which succeeded in creating the profile, but not in connecting me to the internet! The message still appears!

Does this problem occur because it is not a native Dutch mobile phone? It was jailbroken before, but I did a factory restore just now, without any luck...

I hope any of you can help me, thanks!

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Can you make calls? Was it an unlocked phone?

If so I think you just need to find the right APN for your carrier. You try looking around on the Internet for it? Once you find something you can use unlockit to manually put in the settings. But for an unlocked phone you should be able to see the APN settings in the settings app.

3. komijnekaas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, MaxBurn.

It is an unlocked phone, but my current carrier (T-Mobile NL) does not provide a manual APN, it is automatic. Before, back in China and with my prepaid SIM I had a manual APN. But when I inserted the new SIM it does not show up. It also shows in the 'Carrier information' that it is automatic.

And as stated in my OP, I tried to manually input the information which is shown also on the official website of T-Mobile NL, by using unlockit.co.nz, but it did not change anything, sadly..

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I guess you talk to your carrier next. Do they have iPhones on their network? Like one in the store you can check your SIM with?

Over here 3G on tmobile is a different frequency and we have to turn it off to get 2G/edge data.

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah, what MaxBurn said ^^^^

T-Mobile in the states cannot connect to iPhones using a 3G network.

I'm not positive, but I'm sure they are using the same style of network over there as well. Try to turn of 3G in settings and see if you can connect to the internet VIA 2G/Edge.