iphone from out of state work in VT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cavtma, May 24, 2008.

1. cavtma macrumors newbie

Help, I live in boston and desperately want to get the iphone but I've read stuff about how it doesnt work in VT. is this only for people who want to buy it and LIVE in vt or would it really not work in the state at all? My dad has a black berry powered by ATT and that works just fine in VT. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

2. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Umm, if there is ATT coverage in VT then yes the iphone will work. Maybe I don't understand the question?

4. THaage macrumors newbie

iPhone works great in Killington, Vt !!!

My father lives in Killington, Vt & I visit him all the time with my iPhone. It works great 95% of the time.

5. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

They having a network contracted for ATT users traveling through/visiting VT, but they do not have their own network in VT. So you can't get ATT service for an iPhone or any other phone if you have a VT address.

From what I've read, you are fine taking your iPhone up to VT if Boston is your regular home area and at least 50% of your usage is there (or anywhere else on ATT's network). Apparently, if the majority of your usage is on roaming networks (like the entire state of VT), they will shut down your service. I assume this would have to occur of several months in a row, but I don't really know.

For what it's worth, I'm leaving Verizon and getting an iPhone when the new version comes out, and I spend a lot of time skiing in VT in the winter...and I'm not anticipating any problems.

6. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Actually, you can get AT&T service with a Vermont address, no problem. I set mine up at an AT&T store in NH and they had no problem putting my address into the computer. I couldn't get a number with an 802 area code but I didn't WANT an 802 number.

The native GSM coverage in vermont is Unicel, and I know dozens of people with either unlocked iPhones on Unicel or AT&T coverage. Unicel actually has slightly better coverage than Verizon up here.

7. certsoft macrumors member

certsoft

I've used it in Vermont using a T-Mobile SIM (unlocked iphone obviously) roaming on Unicel. Same thing here in eastern Oregon.