iphone from USA to India

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by madhav129sharma, Nov 20, 2010.

1. madhav129sharma macrumors newbie

hello members
    i m new to this site
    my brother is living in USA and he is coming home this January...i asked him to bring me iphone 4 from there.will i be able to use it in india by jail breaking it.what will be the full procedure?plz reply as soon as possible
    Thanks in advance

2. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

3. madhav129sharma thread starter macrumors newbie

what about iphone 4 with contract of AT&T Mobile....i have to pay monthly charges to company,even i use any other network sim

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If your brother is near Canada, it's better to get a factory unlocked phone. It's unlocked by Apple, so you don't have to worry about baseband versions.
    Even if your brother bought the contract free phone in the US, it'd still be locked to AT&T. Since it's likely on a baseband that's locked, you won't be able to use ultrasnow to unlock it. You can still jailbreak it to use as an iPod, but no one really knows when the unlock for iOS 4.1 is coming out.
    Since you're new to this, you won't be able to update whenever you please. You have to wait until there's an update for the jailbreak and the unlock. If you restore, erase all settings or update, you might be screwed.
    I strongly suggest obtaining a factory unlocked phone from Apple. They don't sell them in the US, but there's plenty of other countries that do.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will need to be jailbroken and unlock.
    It can be complicated and a pain if you dont know what you're doing. Also if you update it or restore it thru itunes you will lose the unlock so you gotta be very carefull when dealing with carrier locked iphones.

6. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Imo, it is too much hassle. Can't you just buy one locally? It might just end up being the same price after all the import taxes and duties etc.