iPhone Froze

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Resist, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Well we just had an issue with one of our new iPhones today. As a call came in the iPhone froze while ringing softly. We could not shut the phone off to do a restart, no buttons worked on the phone. The battery level was in the red.

Update: Just as I was typing this, the iPhone restarted itself and now seems fine. Must have been a weird glitch.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If that happens again, hold down the power button and home button until it reboots.

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I initially tried holding down the power button but nothing happened. I didn't think to hold it and the home button down. I will do that next time it happens.

I am curious why it would freeze up from an incoming call.

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

dude it just randomly froze, nothing to get your panties in a bunch :p

yeah as others have stated, in order to turn off your iPhone you need to hold the power and the home buttons down at the same time

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's a cell phone. For whatever reason they can freeze up when communicating with the towers. I've never had a cell phone NOT do this every once in a while.

A forced reboot should clear it up every time.

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Exactly. It seems every minor glitch is being posted here in the forums these days.

7. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Put it in the microwave on defrost... Oh wait...sorry misread posting :D

8. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Actually it happened again numerous times tonight after the restart but only when a certain phone calls our iPhone. We took it to the AT&T store, where it happened right in front of them. They replaced the sim card and it seems to be working now. AT&T said if it happens again to take it to the Apple store.

So it appears it was more than a minor glitch.

9. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Is your phone Jailbroken or is it vanilla..because I had similar problems when it was jailbroken. No problems once restored to factory defaults

10. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

11. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I would take it to an apple store - not an ATT store because they seem more inclined to help. I had a problem with my phone and ATT wouldnt help, but Apple replaced my phone with a new one on the spot. Apologies if there is no apple store in your location though.

12. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I already said we took it to the AT&T store and they replaced the sim card. If it does it again we will surely take it to our local Apple store.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Sorry I didn't realize it had happened with a particular number often. I had a bad SIM card once in another phone and it was acting irradically (rebooting, freezing, eventually said invalid SIM). Got it replaced and all the problems went away. I'm guessing your problems are over.

14. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Well today the same iPhone froze up yet again, this time when a different number called it.

This time the AT&T store said they would replace the iPhone for new one.

15. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

About time. Congrats.

16. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

congrats, Im sorry for giving you crap, I didn't realize it was a chronic problem

17. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

HA! It's chronic :eek:

18. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Her iPhone just froze up again.....this is freaking unbelievable! I held the home and power switch down to restart it, which seems to have worked.

We have never had a cell phone act like this before. My iPhone has not even done this. My girlfriend uses her iPhone for calls more than I do but still, 2 sim cards, 2 iPhones later and the same issue. The phone rings and freezes up and no buttons work, but it keeps ringing at a low volume.

19. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

hopefully, you will eventually get your hands on a good iphone. Probably just bad luck

Its not jailbroke/unlocked or anything- is it?

20. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

No it is not jail broke, it's totally stock. It seems to be working fine now. But we will take it back again if this continues because I can't see having to do resets all the time.

There obviously is an issue with the iPhone that Apple needs to address.

21. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Well today it did it yet again! Seems to freeze the iPhone when getting an incoming call. Was able to get it restarted pressing the home and power switch. This is getting a bit ridiculous having to do this all the time.

I wish Apple would come to realize there is an issue and find a solution for it soon because this is no way to keep a new Apple customer happy. If this isn't resolved we won't be buying anymore Apple products.

22. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

We may have found the cause of our iPhone freezing when it rings during an incoming call. It seems there were assigned pictures to the numbers that were very large (several MB's). The pictures were deleted (until smaller file sized pics can be downloaded) and things appear to be working better now.

23. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

mine has been doing the samething. Im on my fourth phone and second sim. Im going to try deleting some contact pics to see if that helps

24. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

The iPhone has not froze once since removing the large picture file, so that seems to have been the cause of the problem for us.