iPhone FUBAR

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xtrips, Aug 5, 2011.

1. xtrips macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have this bricked 3GS (new bootrom).
    I can put it in restore mode.
    I can put it in DFU mode.
    I tried restoring 4.3.3 and 4.3.5 and a custom 4.3.3 that includes cydia.
    I tried TinyUmbrella and iReb.
    All the above goes fine until the last step where it always ends up with an error like 1015 for example and back to the restore screen.

Isn't there a way I could scrap everything away from it, like a total destructive reset, so it could accept a restore using iTunes?
    I don't even care for JB, I just want it back working.

Thanks

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

3. xtrips thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know and my friend (the owner) doesn't have a clue what was the latest FW that was installed.
    Is there a way I could access the file system and get that info for you?
    Maybe in DFU with some tool?

4. cdustybk macrumors member

Reinstall iTunes. tinyUmbrella sometimes messes up the "hosts" file that iTunes uses to talk to the restore server at Apple. Then try to restore to 4.3.5. See if that works....

5. xtrips thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah. Thanks but I am monitoring my hosts file myself and i checked i could ping the correct gs. Apple server.

6. cdustybk macrumors member

And if it is "bricked", the root folder has issues. Besides, the only way you can get in that folder is if it is jailbroken...or you're comex or the dev team...

Also, I had issues on iTunes 10.5 beta 4. Don't know if this applies to you, but I found it to be somewhat too buggy to trust with installing iPhone software. I mean I've installed software 4 or 5 times using it, but just about every time I had issues probably 3 of those times. Never had any on 10.1 to 10.3.

Sorry if that didn't help :/

7. xtrips thread starter macrumors newbie

The "root folder"? That's new. I didn't know there was such a thing.
    Well that could explain!
    So is there a root folder buster?
    Just kidding!

8. cdustybk macrumors member

That's all jailbreaking is...getting read/write access to the root folder.

I'll see what else I can find about the error code (or anything else that could be useful) and all and try to get back to you asap.

9. hoagtech macrumors newbie

Well there are some confusing options in tiny umbrella. Make sure your source forwarding to cydia is disabled. and look up tiny umbralla configurations for your firmware version.

10. xtrips thread starter macrumors newbie

I did disable all upload/download to cydia from TinyUmbrella but of course it didn't help.
    How could it? I mean doesn't this iPhone need some SHSH signatures saved somewhere before TinyUmbrella could be of any help?
    I guess this is lost, right?