Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenc1103

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Fremont, CA
Is there a free software for Mac that I can use to make a full backup of my iPhone as the iTunes backup does not backup MP3s and ringtones not purchased from the App Store?
The reason I am asking is that I have to unlock my wife's iPhone 5s, in order to do so I have to backup/restore from iTunes. Last time I did that for her iPhone 4s I had to manually put all the MP3s and ringtones not purchased from App Store back which is a big hassle.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Is there a free software for Mac that I can use to make a full backup of my iPhone as the iTunes backup does not backup MP3s and ringtones not purchased from the App Store?
The reason I am asking is that I have to unlock my wife's iPhone 5s, in order to do so I have to backup/restore from iTunes. Last time I did that for her iPhone 4s I had to manually put all the MP3s and ringtones not purchased from App Store back which is a big hassle.

Itunes backs up everything for me?

are you sure you have your settings correct?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If you do an iTunes encrypted back-up, it backs up literally every file on the device. Additionally, that is also the only way to backup health data via iTunes.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I've used iTunes backup to transfer my content across three iPhone over the years. It always transfers everything.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California

You do not have to do the backup/restore anymore after the unlock. Just insert another provider SIM while plugged into iTunes and that should suffice.

Kenc1103

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Fremont, CA
You do not have to do the backup/restore anymore after the unlock. Just insert another provider SIM while plugged into iTunes and that should suffice.

Thanks for the info. Wonder why at&t still providing with the old instructions.

wongster

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014

you don't even need to have it plugged into iTunes.

if you want to test it out just insert another providers sim card. once i got the at&t email, i tried my friends verizon sim and it worked.

Kenc1103

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Fremont, CA
you don't even need to have it plugged into iTunes.

if you want to test it out just insert another providers sim card. once i got the at&t email, i tried my friends verizon sim and it worked.

Really? at&t should stop telling people to do the backup/restore steps then.

wongster

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
Really? at&t should stop telling people to do the backup/restore steps then.

probably gives people the piece of mind that it's unlocked and once you plug it into iTunes and do a restore, it shows an official unlocked message. i didn't need to see that message because i did the unlock request for my 5 and plugged in a different sim card and that worked for me so didn't do it with my 6 either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.