iPhone iPhone full, but it isn't

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by oRBIT2002, Dec 16, 2013.

1. oRBIT2002 macrumors member

My iPhone complains it's almost full. It reports I've used about 26GB of my 32GB. But when I check the list of apps and their individual usage, I get nowhere near these 26GB.
    Hints?

2. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Load up iTunes on your computer.

Connect your iPhone and see how much space it shows used for the "Others" section at the bottom of the screen.

By the sounds of it, it sounds like your iPhone is using up a lot of space for this Others category.

Some of these links might help you solve the large amount of space used for the Others category (if that is the case with your iPhone).

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5193358

http://appducate.com/2013/01/reclaim-other-storage-space-on-ipad-iphone-and-ipod/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=o...+site:discussions.apple.com&biw=2558&bih=1233

3. oRBIT2002 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I've got about 15GB "other". Tried the PhoneClean application but it just finds a few hundred MB's it can clean..

4. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

My guess is it's mostly email and attachments (how many historical messages from how many accounts do you have), also do you have a lot of photos attachments in other messaging apps like Whatsap

5. oRBIT2002 thread starter macrumors member

E-mail and messages are already in the list. Messages are like 400MB (well that's alot, but not 15GB) and e-mail a few MB's..

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you do a clean restore, set up as new, do not restore to backup - you will recover almost all the "other" space.

7. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

I've got the same problem on my 16GB iPhone 4S. It shows 2GB used up by 'Other'. And I don't have the option of restoring because that will force me to update to iOS 7. :mad:

8. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

1-2GB sounds about typical.

You don't have to "Restore" you can just erase the phone from the settings menu if you want.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Phone's Settings > General > Usage

It will break it down by app, which iTunes doesn't do.

See if there's an app that's screwing you. In my case I had to get rid of "The Onion" app because it apparently saves every single thing you've ever looked at, forever.

You may have something similar.

10. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

I can't do that because my phone is jailbroken. :(

Thanks for the suggestion though.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This may be in the other links above I didn't follow, :eek: but iBackupBot allows you to make a local backup, delete the crud, and then restore that backup onto your phone. I removed about 2GB on mine.

12. oRBIT2002 thread starter macrumors member

I reinstalled my iPhone and got all space back! Odd.

However, now the problem is back again. I've got about 150MB's free on my 32GB 5S.
    I seriously suspect that streaming iTunes movies are flawed, this is the only thing I can think of that takes up my space. Perhaps it's buffering when watching but space isn't deallocated properly.

13. hafr macrumors 68030

You're on the right track - you don't stream iTunes videos, you download them to the phone whilst watching them.

Download iExplorer, connect your phone to the computer, open iExplorer, choose "continue with demo", go to Media in the list to the left, check the folder CloudAssets (and perhaps LoFiCloudAssets). This is where videos you "stream" end up.

14. oRBIT2002 thread starter macrumors member

That did the trick, thanks! Let's hope they fix this "bug" soon.

15. hafr macrumors 68030

You Said you were jailbroken? Download iFile (it says it's four dollars, but you only pay if you want the pro features). That way you can clear those folders "on the fly".

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

And lose everything in the process.

op I am having a smaller "other" issue as we'll the only difference is my phone is 64gb and I can afford to lose a few gb's. These problems always seem to correct itself for me.

Edit my issue always seems to be centered around photos and iPhoto

17. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Thanks for that.
    Will try that for myself.

18. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

iPhone full, but it isn't

Fill the phone up and it will auto-clean, even says "Cleaning..." on some apps