Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaladFork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
I've been using my iPhone for no problem for the past three months, but this morning I accidentally disconnected it while running a backup. The iPhone works fine, but now when I plug it into iTunes it shows me as having 13gb of 'Other' (orange) instead of properly showing my music/videos (see picture below). Also, it doesn't recognize my music or videos on my device as being mine, both showing up as "No Music".

I didn't know where else to go, and a google search only returned someone on the apple forums telling the person to restore. However, I'm hoping that since mine is jailbroken, there's an alternative method using SSH or something so that I don't have to restore.

I have a first generation 16gb iPhone that's jailbroken, activated, and unlocked. It's currently on the T-Mobile network. SSH is working great, and all my applications are symlinked. I can SSH/sFTP in if needed, I know how to do all that.

Here's a screenshot of iTunes showing me what's on my iPhone:
iphonememoryre9.png

And here's a screenshot of the error I get when I try to sync:
iphonesyncet2.png

If anyone knows a solution to this (or if you know that the only way to fix this is to restore), please do let me know.

Thanks in advance!

~Salad

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
suspect that you have corrupted the data on the flash memory while disconnecting whilst it was written too. Much like removing a USB flash drive without un-mounting it first.

It’s not really a matter of the phone being jail-broken or not but the way the memory works.

I suspect strongly you will have to restore the phone.

alexuser

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Hey, I heard that the iPhone stores all the email you get as other and never deletes any email messages off the phone, even if you select delete (unless you have changed the settings). Try going to mail settings and tinkering with that.

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I've been having this problem all morning...

Reluctantly, I did a restore (took god-knows how long...especially since I didnt have a back up), then an iTunes media resync, and everything seemed to be fine...

I plugged it in again later this afternoon, all my itunes media was pulled back in as "OTHER"... UGH.

I am NOT doing this restore and resyncing 16GBs all over again. So, I just found out how to do this WITHOUT restoring:

(note: i dunno exactly what fixed it, but here's what i did)

Plug the iPhone in... you'll see all your iTunes data as the orange "OTHER"

Applications > uncheck sync apps
Summary Tab > check off "Manually Manage" > Sync

and auto-magically... the orange "other" capacity status was gone. only photos were left.

Now I can painfully re-sync without having to restore.

pliundemix

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I've been having this problem all morning...

Reluctantly, I did a restore (took god-knows how long...especially since I didnt have a back up), then an iTunes media resync, and everything seemed to be fine...

I plugged it in again later this afternoon, all my itunes media was pulled back in as "OTHER"... UGH.

I am NOT doing this restore and resyncing 16GBs all over again. So, I just found out how to do this WITHOUT restoring:

(note: i dunno exactly what fixed it, but here's what i did)

Plug the iPhone in... you'll see all your iTunes data as the orange "OTHER"

Applications > uncheck sync apps
Summary Tab > check off "Manually Manage" > Sync

and auto-magically... the orange "other" capacity status was gone. only photos were left.

Now I can painfully re-sync without having to restore.

When you say "check off" Manually Manage, does this mean to put the check mark in the box? or to uncheck the box?

itsnorcal

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Apply hard reset

I had a similar problem, my used space(music, movies, apps) all of a sudden showed up with an orange yellow type bar saying other and wouldn't allow me to sync.

I just applied a hard reset to the iphone(hold down home/lock button) and everything reset to normal. Weird, simple fix though.

123jp

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
I had a similar problem, my used space(music, movies, apps) all of a sudden showed up with an orange yellow type bar saying other and wouldn't allow me to sync.

I just applied a hard reset to the iphone(hold down home/lock button) and everything reset to
normal. Weird, simple fix though.

YES!! Thanks you very much man saved my life! (Not literally though) :p All you have to do is unplug your iphone and apply a hard reset (Holding down lock and home button for 10 seconds), plug it back in and everything will show up as normal!

----------

I've been using my iPhone for no problem for the past three months, but this morning I accidentally disconnected it while running a backup. The iPhone works fine, but now when I plug it into iTunes it shows me as having 13gb of 'Other' (orange) instead of properly showing my music/videos (see picture below). Also, it doesn't recognize my music or videos on my device as being mine, both showing up as "No Music".

I didn't know where else to go, and a google search only returned someone on the apple forums telling the person to restore. However, I'm hoping that since mine is jailbroken, there's an alternative method using SSH or something so that I don't have to restore.

I have a first generation 16gb iPhone that's jailbroken, activated, and unlocked. It's currently on the T-Mobile network. SSH is working great, and all my applications are symlinked. I can SSH/sFTP in if needed, I know how to do all that.

If anyone knows a solution to this (or if you know that the only way to fix this is to restore), please do let me know.

Thanks in advance!

~Salad

Simply apply a hard reset (holding down home and lock button for 10 seconds) and it should show up with everything. It is wierd and idk why but it worked for me and was so grateful thanks to itsnorcal.

JBmaya

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2017

iphonememoryre9.png

iphonesyncet2.png

Thanks in advance!

~Salad

I had this exact problem and there was a quick fix.
Shut down your computer (I have an Apple).
Shut down (hard) your iPhone (I have an iPhone 6), holding the off button and the Home button down at the same time.
Wait 30 seconds. Turn you iPhone back on and connect it by cable back onto the computer. Then reboot.
It worked for me.
Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.