iPhone Game Controller (mock up)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmacdonald, Dec 21, 2007.

1. dmacdonald macrumors newbie

2. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Don't you know it's heresy to suggest that real buttons are needed?

:D

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i like it alot. something else i would think would be nice is to have a storage for games somehow if you dont want them on ipod

6. dmacdonald thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments folks. It was a fun idea to mock-up. Perhaps the controller could have an SD memory slot for game storage.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It never took off when done with other phones, but you never know with the iPhone...

[​IMG]

8. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I'm impressed. I'm not a gamer, but that's a clever design. I'd submit that to someone like Griffin, Kensington, etc...

9. DuFFy macrumors regular

i had a thought, what if you have the headphone jack plug into a built in plug on the controller first then closed the other side and have like a built in speaker on the controller or something, i dunno...like i said, just a thought

10. sduckett macrumors newbie

I like it.

HOWEVER!!!!
    consider this in your design.

The hinge is a weakness,

the iphone should slide in from the left (or right) and be supported from the back like most of the docks in closks and radios for ipods and such.

just an idea, the whold hinging into place thing. it would eventually break off or something. but it if was all one piece, it would be solid and protect the ipone/touch.

also think about speakers on the back or on the sides? and volume buttons since they would be covered.

11. sduckett macrumors newbie

crap.. i was just thinking. what about it slides in, then a spring loaded button pops up on the left side of it "locking" the iphone/touch in!

then it couldnt fall out!

to release the iphone/touch push in the spring loaded button on the left keeping it from sliding out and slide the phone out

12. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    That's really creepy. I had a very similar idea. The only thing I was thinking is that the two "grippers" on either side would have special connectors. The left would have a jack that connects to the "headphone" jack, and provides a normal, non-recessed headphone jack on its exterior, and the right gripper would have a serial connector, so that the phone would not #1.) waste power on Bluetooth communication, were that even an option due to limited profile support. #2.) using the serial port allows for possibly finer controls with no possibility of interference. I was also thinking that a more advanced controller could broadcast the video/sound wirelessly to the television, as well as having stero speakers mounted on each gripper. A friend and I shoot these ideas back and forth all the time.

The main challenges to this (in my opinion) are #1.) getting Made for iPhone certified (would Apple cooperate?) #2.) needing serial level controls through an official SDK (will there be in Feb?) #3.) What would the price be (I said $150 tops, but $79 would be an awesome adoption-ready price point).

I'm hoping that locoGPS module really makes it into production for $89. That would clearly set a HUGE precedent if it ends up being certified on the "Made for iPhone" program.

~ CB

13. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Before, this controller idea would've failed. But now, the iPhone's brand new 3.0 OS allows apps downloaded from the app store to use add on peripherals like this controller. There is a race right now among hardware manufacturers to be the first to create an awesome gaming peripheral for the iphone thats a hit.

Also...

Whoever makes the iphone's first gaming addon, three requirements are must haves...

1. The peripheral should look very sleek, flush with the phone and use the same black plastic found in the front of all iphones. iPhone owners care greatly about how thier device looks.

2. The peripheral must have dual analog sticks/nubs. Imagine the PSP's analog nub, but on both sides. Portable gamers have been clamoring for this feature forever now, so it's about time they get it. I can't overstress how important it is the the iPhone's gaming pad has DUAL ANALOG NUBS (and also shoulder trigger buttons).

3. The peripheral must have two shoulder buttons and a solid D-Pad akin to the PSP/PS3's D-Pad to enable fighting games.

Do these things and the peripheral will be a big hit.

Also the smaller the add on, the better. It should be as small as humanly possible. People don't like large bulky addons. And it should have a rectangular design with curved edges identical to the iphone.