iphone game developers forum

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by zedzeek, Nov 22, 2011.

1. zedzeek macrumors newbie

1. Im wondering if anyone knows of another Web forum thats aimed at ppl who wish to ask/answer question's WRT IOS game development? eg where I can ask questions about ogl es WRT to iphone/pad etc.

2. More of a Xcode question, this is driving me nuts.

a. Is there some way to tell Xcode 'only open up the file once' eg looking at my tabs along the top of the screen I often see I have eg Players.mm opened 4 times!

b. Is there some way for the IDE to behave nice, now if I click on a tab to view a file I may have my view navigator set to project, if I click on another tab its set to something else eg find, i.e each tab has its own memory layout, terrible design. Im sure this can be fixed but Ive googled to no avail.

cheers guys

2. szymczyk macrumors regular

1. iDevGames is a Mac game development site that has a forum for asking iOS game development questions.

2a. You can tell Xcode to open a new tab when you double-click a file in the project navigator. Opening a new tab when you double-click works better for tabbed editing than adding tabs from Xcode's tab bar. Open Xcode's preferences. Click the General button. Choose Uses Separate Tab from the Double Click Navigation menu.

3. zedzeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks szymczyk, that forum seems to be what Im looking for, i.e. more focused on hardware & gamedev issues

Though I think youve misunderstood my other question, I can open new tabs already, but I want it to behave like most/all the other IDEs out there, i.e. each file is only opened once. I realize Xcode has only recently added support for tabs so will most likely have teething issues but this is a major issue which I cant see how that would of not noticed, thus theres most likely a flag to change the bahaviour to something a bit saner, btw is there a site that lists all xcode hints/tips?
    Or do ppl use other IDEs, I can see Xcode is nice if youre wanting to make something with widgets etc but me I like something nice & quick & basic but everything is polished 100%.
    in flash/actionscript terms (perhaps bad explanation)
    xcode = adobe flash professional
    other IDE = something that uses flex etc

4. szymczyk macrumors regular

I understood your question. My answer was a workaround. I don't know of any way to have Xcode not open a file in multiple tabs. If you open Xcode's tab bar and add a tab from there, Xcode creates a duplicate of the currently open file, which is obviously not what you want. Telling Xcode to open a file in a new tab when you double-click it in the project navigator minimizes the number of duplicate tabs.

I don't know of any site that lists every Xcode tip and hint. My site (click the link in the signature) has Xcode tips and hints, but it certainly doesn't have every tip and hint.

5. zedzeek thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers again szymczyk.
    Ive decided to check out monodevelop, from a cursory look it does seem to be a much better editor than xcode, which feels like something out of the 90s.
    find and replace is semi-competent for a start :)
    files are only opened once
    the cursor word under the cursor actually gets selected (unlike xcode when often the line above does, facepalm when I first saw this :) )

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Say what? Sounds like something wrong with your Xcode installation then. I've never seen this.

7. zedzeek thread starter macrumors newbie

I think its cause I have my mouse pointers enlarged by ~50% (24" screen)
    the cursor is enlarged (though sometimes blurry) but the hotspot has stayed in the same place for the text selection cursor (The capital I with a horizontal line through it) i.e. the hopspot is approx halfway between that line and the top of the I. The wierd thing is the hotspot is in the right place with all the other applications eg chrome,monodevelop etc. Its a minor point though, I'ld prefer them to fix the major stuff first :D