iPhone GamePad now a real possibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JoshHawn, Mar 18, 2009.

1. JoshHawn macrumors member

We all remember the infamous (fake) picture of the "JoyPod" slide on controller for the iPhone/iPod Touch that was going around a few months ago, and now with the new 30-Pin Dock Connector APIs built into the new iPhone 3.0 SDK it's not such a fake idea after all!

Personally, I think Apple should make this accessory themselves so that Developers can develop games that use the same Controller, so there is just one accessory rather than one for each game. I know the Multi-Touch and Accelerometer controls are already a sweet combo, but let's face it: Awesome games need tactile controls (Think of how much easier it would be to control a first person shooter game using a D-Pad to move or a joy-stick, not to mention a trigger button)

Also, to make it even better, they could make it so the slide-on gamePad also Charges your iPhone or iPod Touch with a built in battery similar to the Mophie Juice Pack! So you can get more hours of gameplay! They need something like this to really compete, not only with other portable media players and phones, but portable gaming devices like the Nintendo DS or the PSP.

Tell me what you all think about it, and if you think apple will ever support a universal gamePad for the platform...

Attached Files:

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think its almost 100% certain we are going to see a control pad.

I'm more excited for the accessories that will come out that we havnt even THOUGHT about yet.

3. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

I bet Apple will either announce a plan for it at WWDC or possibly later at the iPod event they have every September.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No need for apple to bother with cluttering their accessory lines. There will be RABID accessory development by 3rd parties. Apples work is done for them.

5. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

Yes, i know that... but i dont want to have to go out and buy a different gamepad accessory for each developer. There should be just one gamepad that every developer codes for.

6. threezero macrumors 6502

consumers generally likes choices. There should be a standard gamepad platform licensed by apple, any then manufacturer can do whatever they want with the design button layout and such.

7. Psycdude macrumors member

Anyone else still hoping to see something like this?

8. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

With the iPad now here, I'd bet more on
    a) iPhone becoming the d-Pad, with iPad the screen
    b) iPads getting BT d-pads 3rd party.