iPhone games to compete with PSP/DS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Do you think the iPhone app developers will get to the point where their games will actually be on par with other legitimate handheld gaming devices such as the PSP and Nintendo DS?

So far I'm just seeing pretty basic, simple gaming (which is more then good for a phone), but I'm wondering if we'll start getting full swing action games and all that. I mean the graphics are good enough.

I suppose they would be comparable to prices on other handhelds ($40-$50) and it might not really happen until the iPhone is widespread enough to use as a gaming platform... But it's just something to think about.

I think it would be pretty badass!

2. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

The touchscreen concerns me for gaming. A lack of physical controls may put some people off.

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yea I know what you mean. I mean, sure, you could just display the buttons on the screen, but it would seem a little odd of first...

but then again a lot of people said the same thing about typing a phone number! :D

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

A company (i think iControl) is releasing an attachment for $30 for the iPhone Gen 1. I think it can only be used right now with a jailbroken iPhone, but I am sure we will see a more on this. It uses the iPhone as the PSP screen and the attachment gives you the PSP controls.

5. sjw macrumors regular

I think the biggest barrier will be the lack of buttons and a directional pad - could you imagine playing a platformer or fighting game on it? I certainly couldn't..

That said, I think it's going to force developers to become more creative and push gaming in another direction, similar to where Wii/DS has been going. And with the amount of interest in the iPhone (from Joe Public and developers alike), who knows, maybe it could begin to compete with the handheld market. I wouldn't say on par with, but you never know...

6. Mankin5344 macrumors member

I think the touch screen paired with the accelerometer will become a great gaming rig. From what I understand (correct me if im wrong) the iPhone has more processing power than the PSP and DS. The only limitation I can see is the fact the iPhone has no removable media slot and may hinder the amount of games that can be on the phone at once.

7. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

Since the ARM processor core of the iPhone and iPod touch runs at nearly twice the clockspeed of the Sony PSP’s CPU, the iPhone should blow the PSP out of the water. Digital Lengends' game already looks better than anything on the PSP.

My two cents.

P-79