Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Ive ordered something called a "Gelaskin" for my iPhone from Valve, without realizing what one actually was, is it a skin that sticks on? Or does it clip on like a case?

G2383main.png

Also is it possible to just use the back part? I don't fancy having a white front to my iPhone.

jakeby

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2011
I have one. Its a sticker, although they do offer snap on hardcases now. Which bits you use are up to you. You dont have to stick any of it on at all if you dont want to. They're also reusable, so you can take it off, and stick it back on the paper.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I have one. Its a sticker, although they do offer snap on hardcases now. Which bits you use are up to you. You dont have to stick any of it on at all if you dont want to. They're also reusable, so you can take it off, and stick it back on the paper.

Ah right, is the skin padded or is it paper-thin like a regular sticker? Im hoping it will prevent the camera lens from touching the surface if I lay my phone down on the table, I used to use my iPhone 4 without a case and the lens got scratched to hell because it was rubbing against the table when laying down. I'm just hoping the skin will be thick enough to mean the lens is off the ground?

jakeby

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2011
Its a thin sticker, at most 1mm thick. However, it should keep the lens off the surface.

Big Ells

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010
London, UK
I have a gelaskin on my iPhone and macbook and they are really good quality and are made from 3M vinyl that you just stick on.
My iPhone one came with back, front and sides. I only used the back then put on a clear snap case.
Check on their site http://www.gelaskins.com

xyfish

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
i've read from the long thread somewhere here that gelaskins shrink after sometimes, anyone have that problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.